• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque converter wont lock after ZJ brake swap.

mscans

NAXJA Forum User
so i did everything right for the brake booster/master swap from a zj into my 87 xj. brakes wont great, brake lights work great.

but now my torque converter wont lockup. i checked my fused i checked to see if i knocked any wires out, i dont know what i did. and i would like to drive onthe highway, so if anyone knows what i did, that'd be great!

thanks-
mike

Sounds like a brake swith like mentioned above. Your converter unlocks whenever the brake pedal is depressed.

Ok stupid question. What happens when your converter doesn't lock up? No go, like being in neutral?

Mudderoy said:
Ok stupid question. What happens when your converter doesn't lock up? No go, like being in neutral?

No your torque converter locks up to lowere the rpms on the highway. Although it can lock up in every gear but 1st. Try getting up to 35 and sticking the shifter in the 1/2 position and accelerating, you will fell the converter lock.

Clean-RC said:
There is a white/clearish plastic switch above the brake pedal rod that controls the converter lock up. Make sure that is adjusted properly. start there..

thanks buddy! i will run out there and check right now.

i just finished the aw4 mod for the torque converter lock up switch, i would much rather the computer just do it on it's own.

brb!

whompinxj said:
No your torque converter locks up to lowere the rpms on the highway. Although it can lock up in every gear but 1st. Try getting up to 35 and sticking the shifter in the 1/2 position and accelerating, you will fell the converter lock.

Better yet while your going down the highway push the brake pedal down just enough to turn on the brake lights. You will notice the jump in RPM when it unlocks, release the brake and it will lock back up.

BlueCuda said:
Better yet while your going down the highway push the brake pedal down just enough to turn on the brake lights. You will notice the jump in RPM when it unlocks, release the brake and it will lock back up.

Cool, I'm going to try that. Thanks.

Back