• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ with no Doors Illegal???

Super6XJ

NAXJA Forum User
well i want to remove the 4 doors on my XJ, but not too Sure what the LAw says about that.

I am In Texas.. and if you know what the law is about doors.. PLease respond.
Thanks
Super6

You'd get a better response if you'd have posted in the Red River Chapter forum. RRC includes Texas.

ehall said:
Do you see cops hassle any Wranglers with their doors off?

in Maryland if it came with non removable doors it has to have doors. you might get away with no doors for a while but sooner or later you will get pulled over. That being said a wrangler can take its doors of in maryland because it came from the factory with removeable doors.

from what i have heard in Pa wranglers must have doors on anytime they are on the road.
If i could get away wth no doors Id do it instead of have the half doors

I read through the texas law and it appears to be worded the same as here in TN, that a motorvehicle must be equipped with side or center mirror allowing the driver to see 200ft behind the vehicle. Of course the best way would be to ask local city, county, or state police (or all 3) if they know of any law requiring the doors to be on the vehicle. I did that here before modding them and they all said they know of no such law. If you want to read through the entire thing yourself it's located here http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/tn.toc.htm

Do you see cops hassle any Wranglers with their doors off?
============================================
if it came with non removable doors it has to have doors.
===========================================
X2 for Ohio.

I've sat right next to a cop at a stop light with no doors and he just looked over a looked away. I've also driven about 300 miles round trip with no doors and a passenger and again, i've had no problems and this is in SoCal.

yes and no i made these with new mirrors
Picture081.jpg

Picture082.jpg

Sorry but those are hideous... Did you use a butter knife to cut those out? Is that like a sign you found on the side of the highway? Theyre not even symmetrical. To each his own though, i guess.

I've been driving around in MD for the past few days with no doors. I've passed and driven around numerous sheriffs in 2 different counties and even state troopers with no doors and no side mirrors, and not one has given me a second look. I'll eventually get some new mirrors because its annoying not having them, but no problems here.

Technically speaking, the requirements are specifically aimed at the number and location of rear view mirrors on the vehicle.

Indirectly, almost all vehicle codes specify the contingency for safety equipment (unspecified as to which equipment this pertains to). Any instance of removing safety equipment from a vehicle is deemed unlawful. However, as it doesn't specify doors in the safety equipment, it can go both ways. If you get a stickler for a cop, you might get a ticket. When it goes to court, it depends on the judge....but they'll usually stand behind the cops decision.

On a good note, there are several write-ups on making your doors removable. If you get a ticket, it should only be a fix it ticket, you can slap them back on, get the ticket signed, put them back in that giant pile of crap that some call a garage.

yeah i was reading in the Texas Drivers Hand book.. and under REQUIRED EQIUPMENT (Spelt that worng i think) it doesn't say anything about DOORS.
Only Mirrors, Lights, Horn,etc..
But it don't Say Doors..
So I not quite Sure.. I'm Gonna ask some Police Officers.. lol

but thanx on the Replies..
:)

In OK they don't seem to care. My friends jeep has the top cut off and the doors removed. All he rolls with is a rearview on the windshield and of a course a full cage.

In florida if the doors are removable its legal IIRC ...it only takes six bolts to remove each door...so to me thats a removable door....

Illinois seems to be about the same...

If it came with non-removable doors it has to have them...
And you need a rearview mirror capable of 200ft view...

Tube doors are okay... no doors is not...

Back