• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front DS moves! OK?

jdxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have some Vibs for a second when letting off or pushing the gas pedal. So I'm under the jeep checking U joint s ect. All seems fine but the front DS rotated about a 1/4" either way before it stops. Is that normal? The rear one is solid. So it seemed wierd to me. Any Ideas.

Sounds normal to me, but im just a rookie. Mine does the same. When you are in 2WD your rear driveshaft should be solid because the tranny is in gear (or park) so it puts the vehicles weight on the drivetrain. Therefore your front driveshaft (assuming its in 2WD) should have no load, and it will turn intill the ring and pinion gears make it stop.

Best way to check driveshaft u-joints is with the wheels blocked and the transmission in neutral. This way there is no load on the axles or drive shafts. You are mainly looking for lateral movement or side to side movement. You are also looking for play between the two yokes.

Thats normal, the ds is just picking up slack from the backlash in the gears, slack between ring gear through the spider gears, and slack inbetween the side gears and the shafts themselves.

Don't worry about it.

Yeah, thats normal backlash in the differential and xfer case. Have a look and make the u-joint itself isn't sloppy. You may still have a bad ujoint in the rear shaft that's gotten tight. Only way to really check that is to pull the shaft and see if the joints feel smooth and not sloppy.

Back