• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THROTTLE POSTION SENSOR ADJUSTMENT

http://wagoneers.com/XJ/tech/TPS-adjustment.html

Try this one. Much more informative than "search".
slapsad.gif

MT Mike said:
Try this one. Much more informative than "search".
slapsad.gif

Eh... not necessarily Did you determine if his is auto or manual? The procedure list in your link is not the one in the FSM..

Saudade said:
Eh... not necessarily Did you determine if his is auto or manual? The procedure list in your link is not the one in the FSM..

The best I could do since I can't reference the FSM here for him. I have used the referenced method before with good results.

Hint to the OP: Click on the word "Renix" in my signature for more helpful links.
ugh2.gif

My standard cut and paste paraphrase from the service bulletin:

For an 87-90 4.0:

Test is done with throttle closed, connectors connected, ignition on, engine off. Insert probes through back of connectors to make readings. Use a high impedance meter. Adjust TPS by loosening mounting screws and turning in mount.

For manual connect + probe to terminal A, and - to B. Take a reading, which should be in vicinity of 5 volts but probably lower. Note the reading well. Now move the positive probe to terminal C. The reading should be 16 percent of the previous reading.

For Automatic, use the square, 4-terminal plug. Connect probe + to terminal A, and - to D. Note reading, which should be in vicinity of 5 volts. Now move probe + to terminal B. This reading should be 82 % of the first.

I think this topic should be added to the FAQ section, just my .02

outlander said:
I thought it was 17%?
It is for the manual trans, the auto is 82%. The sensor has two sides, the engine side and the trans side. If you were to adjust the engine side then 17% would be correct but the trans side is more critical.

Back