• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what's the best NSS to buy

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Since my NSS shattered a couple of weeks ago I've been running the bypass but am going to buy a replacement in the next couple of days. I know there are cheap remans on eBay and mid-priced aftermarket switches from Team Cherokee and elsewhere. However I prefer to buy the best switches and sensors whenever possible so I'm looking for one that goes on smooth and does not develop any problems. At the moment I'm leaning towards the AC Delco on rockauto for $250 but if there are any better choices I'd like to hear them. Thanks

250??? Holy Crap! You can likely find "used" ones and clean them yourself. I found a pull on ebay for $50 (delivered). Even so, I think the remans are fine.

Do you not have a salvage yard nearby?

I'll second the reman. There is a guy on ebay(kyleatusa) that rebuilds them to look like new. He has a couple of listings currently on EBAY. Mine is almost 2yrs old and no probs with it!!
Cardboard

The dealer would likely have it for about the same price-if they have it at all.

The NSS will get dirty and corrode and fail eventually regardless of whatever sensor you buy. Maybe the cheaper ones will corrode faster, but still the typical service life is what 15+years?

333k unless your planning to rebuild the motor or tranny if you haven't already putting expensive new sensors in is retarded anyway.

333k unless your planning to rebuild the motor or tranny if you haven't already putting expensive new sensors in is retarded anyway.
I'm going to put the new sensors and parts on the replacement engine and tranny

Better to buy new now instead of having to buy cheap now and new later

And I have 336k miles now thank you

You're free to piss your money down whatever drain you choose.

They're probably all made by the same company in China. I suspect cleaning up a used one from the junkyard will be just as reliable as a new one. I honestly don't have any data on the reliablility of new units as I've never seen a new one go bad.

ehall said:
I'm going to put the new sensors and parts on the replacement engine and tranny

Better to buy new now instead of having to buy cheap now and new later

And I have 336k miles now thank you

Didn't mean anything against you. If I were going to go new-which I wouldn't especially with a NSS-I'd go dealer.

What's your oil pressure? Any knocks?

ehall said:
Some people just don't listen -- I know there are cheap remans on eBay [...] However I prefer to buy the best switches and sensors whenever possible

your on a forum and people gave you better ideas than a new your looking at. if you dont want opinons and other options that will work. then search google and dont post in a forum....

buying reman would be better, you get the same as new for a lot better price.(just check out autozone/napa/advance) 90% of the "new" stuff there is reman.

but idk where to get one.

89CherokeePioneer said:
If I were going to go new-which I wouldn't especially with a NSS-I'd go dealer.
I thought about that but there's no reason to pay the extra premium when AC Delco is probably better quality. Actually I went ahead and bought the AC Delco and it was about $230 after discount and shipping, which is less than what the local chains sell their store brand NSS for, and only about $60 more than what Team Cherokee sells their no-name NSS for. As for reman, I'm not interested in a fatigued switch from a Mystery Motor that I will have to rebuild or replace after a couple of years.

What's your oil pressure? Any knocks?
Oil pressure is about 60 on startup and settles down to 38 (just below the middle line) after it warms up. The engine does make a lot of noise. The biggest problem is that most of the bolts are corroded. I'm only half joking when I say that I might have to use a plasma cutter to get the engine out.

Back