• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear hatch problem

sjbond67

NAXJA Forum User
my rear hatch wont open, and ive tried everything except taking things apart. but theres a catch, i have a false floor, thats bolted down..... so i cannot get to my back panel. anyone know of any other way to get it open????

99 cherokee

Mine (98) sticks once in a while, I have to push in right under the hatch handle and open at the same time. Usually some type of spray lube and its all good for a while. Worth a try I guess.

Mine is a 98 and had this problem, you have to take off the plastic molding to get to what needs adjusted. once you have it off there is a little clip that needs to be moved, you will know what I am talking about when you see it. this is the only way to adjust it, good luck.

You have to get inside and remove the trim panel. It won't be easy.
When you put it back remember to use hex heads in the middle of the outboard sides, in case you ever have to go back.
What I've seen is the trip lever for the latch slip.
There is a little spring type clip they use to make adjustment easy, unfortunately the setup is not very secure and it slips. After you remove the panel and open the hatch, reinstall the trip lever to the spring clip and do something to prevent it from slipping again.
I used a "e" clip.

sjbond67 said:
my rear hatch wont open, and ive tried everything except taking things apart. but theres a catch, i have a false floor, thats bolted down..... so i cannot get to my back panel. anyone know of any other way to get it open????

99 cherokee
Its been said you can get it open by removing the striker plate.

I stated that i cannot get to my back panel so thats out of the question. how do you remove the striker plate?

definately time to chop the top and cage it....

on a serious note, why cant you remove the "false floor" is it really bolted down that seriously... if all else fails, unbolt it up top and wiggle it around until the bottom gets loose.
just my .02

I just pull the lever and pound on the hatch near the lever, it seems to work for me.

sjbond67 said:
I stated that i cannot get to my back panel so thats out of the question. how do you remove the striker plate?
The two nuts are up between the gas tank and the bumper,its a little tricky to get at but its not horrible.

sjbond67 said:

my question is why have a "false door" and what is making it so you cant get to the back.

if you need to get back there, it looks like its time to do some unbolting. i recommend the two person approach. one person get into the cargo area and kick or apply pressure to the inside of the hatch while the other person works the latch and pull from the outside. worked our old blazer.

Happened to my 99 in April. It was stuck for a few days. Just had to keep working it. I sprayed what lube I could get into it. All of a sudden it just opened. Took the panel off and cleaned everything up well.

-Hershey

Back