• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Collective Opinion - Towing/Gears/Locker

HawkZero

NAXJA Forum User
Here is what I'm thinking of running:

32x11.5 / 4.56 / Powertrax No Slip

I want to tow a 1800-2200lb pop-up trailer with electric brakes. I have a 2000 with automatic transmission. I will be towing uphill 3000-8000 ft each trip and need to safely do 55-65 on the highway. I'm currently installing a B&M transmission cooler that will bypass the radiator. (Hot Climate) I have not purchased wheels/tires/gears or locker yet.

What sayeth the hive mind? Any anticipated problems or better options?

I have a 99 xj lifted 4.5 inches with 31's with stock gearing. I also have the B&M supercooler and trans gauge. I tow my 15 foot fiberglass speed boat with no issues at all. I also have a 12 foot fully enclosed trailer I can tow 70 plus mph on the freeway.

I did it cross country towing a 2 horse trailer (5k) with 33/4.88/Truetrac front/EZ locker rear

Mileage was absolutely horrible (8MPG average) but I made it.

HTH

John

I'm thinking of running the exact same setup. I have a 3" lift and 32's and want either 4.10's or 4.56's with a no-slip in the rear. The only thing I tow is a wave runner, which weighs less than 1000 lbs with trailer. I didn't go on the highway with it, but it went 55-60 just fine in 3rd and my trans temps only reached about 160* (B&M cooler routed through radiator). I say go for it if you'll be doing a lot of towing. The gears should really help. If you aren't going to do much offroading though, you don't need the locker.

99xjclassic said:
I have a 99 xj lifted 4.5 inches with 31's with stock gearing. I also have the B&M supercooler and trans gauge. I tow my 15 foot fiberglass speed boat with no issues at all. I also have a 12 foot fully enclosed trailer I can tow 70 plus mph on the freeway.

I hope you don't keep it in overdrive when towing. 4.5" lift and 31's must look really weird as well...

I have an offroad trailer that is about 1150 pounds loaded. I towed it with 4.56/32/no-slip with no problems at all. With 4.88/35's/detroit I had no problems, but had to shift into third going up steeper hills (I'm on an old 87).

The locker never really seemed to pose a problem for me at all.

Back