• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf spring center bolt - how do I get it out?

Runnin'OnEmpty

NAXJA Forum User
This is a 96 that I'm installing a Rusty's Add-A-Leaf on. It's a long one that installs directly under the main leaf.

The center bolt that holds the pack together looks to be screwed into the sway bar mount on the top of the pack....is this correct? The other end of the bolt has a round head. How the heck do you get this bolt out to separate the pack? Vise grips? Cut it off?
Thanks,
ROE

hi..i use a vice grip for the bottom and use a 13mm i think to unbolt nut.. while using a c -clamp to hold all the leaves together..if all else fails c- clamp and grinding disc to cut off one end..hope this helps aloha..

C-clamps,WD-40,drift punch, Big Big hammer. Asuming the nut has been removed from the center pin, smack the pin down thru the pack. If your running stock leafs and you have the time and lagre enough c-clamps then just remove the nut and carfully let the pack come apart(there only three leafs). If the leafs have shifted during there life span then it is possible the center pin has bent making it hard if not impossible to remove. Thus the pack being apart it becomes much easier. However if your not running the stock 3 leaf pack it can be a bit much to undo a leaf pack by your self. So its back to the drift puch, hammer, WD-40. Do Not under estamte the power of lube when it comes to suspension!

mscans said:
grinder from either side, safety glasses.

...What I did... Didn't want to deal with that crap again so I took a standard grade 8 bolt (can't remember length, measured it out a while ago), rounded off the head enough that it would fit into the hole in the spring mount and still be able to torque with a wrench, then just tightened everything together with a grade 8 nut.

I was happy with my jury rigging, and haven't had any problems thus far, someone speak up if there's something MAJORLY wrong with this setup, if not, well... no worries?

the center pin doesnt touch any sway bar mounts on the rear. use an angle grinder and install new center pin. quick and easy. c clamp the leaves. then slowly let em out and then install the add a leaf. use 2 c clamps on each leaf pack, itll make life easy. use the old pin to line up the leaves. then put new pin in, and bolt everything back up.

Thanks to all for the replies.
This is a Chrysler 8.25 diff, and it looks like the center bolt is screwed into the spring top plate, which doubles as the sway bar mount. There's no nut on the top. If I cut the bolt head, or the bolt breaks, I'll still have to drill out the bolt end from the top plate......I guess.....at least that's the way it looks to me.

I've got the whole mess soaking in PB Blaster right now, and will probably take it apart tomorrow. With any luck it'll screw out the bottom with help from vise grips.
Thanks again for the tips.

You need to clean the top leaf spring plate!There is a nut there.and no the sway bar bracket is a separate piece and has nothing to do with the top-plate or center pin.

Take off the swaybar. You dont really need it anyway. Just cut off the nut, punch out the centerpin. The add a leaf didnt come with a center pin? Weird. I thought they did. Anyway, i used a grade 8 socket head bolt, ie allen head. 3/8 by 3 or 3.5 should do it. Dont forget a nut. Actually, i think the stock one may be 5/16. My rubicon express pack uses a 3/8.

hasta
cut the old one off. the key to doing this is removing the top plate first. they're 18 mm nuts... but then after that's off, if you come down on top of it with a grinding wheel, cutting an X halfway through the thickness of the bolt it will probably cleanly pop off. gotta take off the mounting plate first. you should have new u bolts to put in too, because they're stretch bolts and to change out a leaf in the pack, you need to take them off, which them renders them useless. new center pins are a buck or so, so don't feel bad. rounding the head of a normal grade 8 bolt is fine too. as long as it's centered.

Mr_Random said:
...What I did... Didn't want to deal with that crap again so I took a standard grade 8 bolt (can't remember length, measured it out a while ago), rounded off the head enough that it would fit into the hole in the spring mount and still be able to torque with a wrench, then just tightened everything together with a grade 8 nut.

I was happy with my jury rigging, and haven't had any problems thus far, someone speak up if there's something MAJORLY wrong with this setup, if not, well... no worries?

Another trick is just to use an allen head bolt. It will fit right in the spring perch and is the same basic idea. Works great all my Jeeps are dont like that.

:doh: :doh: :doh:
Please excuse my thick skull, guys. Got it now. I remove the top plate and that exposes the center pin nut!

On mine, that top area of the spring is rusty and it was hard to see how the pin was positioned. It looks like the pin end protrudes through the plate. (This is the first time I will have a spring pack apart); I do have C-clamps and the AAL kit did come with new center bolts and they look to be at least grade 8 by the markings. Should be a piece of cake now that you all have beaten how to do it into my brain cell.

I'll start on this tomorrow, and will post back the results. One more thing, is it a good idea to smear some wheel bearing grease inside the new leafs during assembly?

Many thanks to you all.:cheers:

Hmmm, maybe I got lucky, but I just tightened mine until it snapped, then drove the stub out with a punch.

Note: I already had the 5/16 centering pins on hand, no need to fight a disposable part.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
:doh: :doh: :doh:
Please excuse my thick skull, guys. Got it now. I remove the top plate and that exposes the center pin nut!

On mine, that top area of the spring is rusty and it was hard to see how the pin was positioned. It looks like the pin end protrudes through the plate. (This is the first time I will have a spring pack apart); I do have C-clamps and the AAL kit did come with new center bolts and they look to be at least grade 8 by the markings. Should be a piece of cake now that you all have beaten how to do it into my brain cell.

I'll start on this tomorrow, and will post back the results. One more thing, is it a good idea to smear some wheel bearing grease inside the new leafs during assembly?

Many thanks to you all.:cheers:
I assume you want to do this to reduce any friction that is hindering flex? Ive heard from a couple that it more trouble than it is worth. Grease will trap and dirt, sand, or whatever in it which will actually increase friction between the leaves. I would smooth out the transition between the leaves and use a good paint on them.

Back