• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spark problem

konoff1998

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1996 xj 4.0ho. i have no spark so i pulled the dist cap and the rotor will not budge. what would cause the rotor to not move is my question. any info would be great.

the slip/wrist pin that holds the gear at the bottom of the distributor may have sheared and the gear is just spinning on the distributor shaft.

89xj said:
the slip/wrist pin that holds the gear at the bottom of the distributor may have sheared and the gear is just spinning on the distributor shaft.

v7tc9e.jpg

If the shaft seized in the distributor housing the pin will shear. Pull the distributor, and it if turns ok, and the gear isn't loose, more than likely it's the timing chain or a broken camshaft. Or the gear on the camshaft stripped, which means a new camshaft. But I've only seen that once.
If the distributor looks ok, pull the valve cover and see if all the pushrods move.

frank36 said:
His Jeep has a vanilla scented air freshener hanging off the rearveiw mirror,so technically it is"modified"

Now that was funny!!:D

only reason i put into modified is because people respond here. thanks for all the info. accually i found that a motor mount broke and pressed the dist up against the block and cracked the housing. it being pressed up against the housing caused it not to turn.

Back