• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I want to stretch the rear axle...

flexdout

NAXJA Forum User
So Ive been doing a little research on stretching the rear axle and I am trying to figure out whats the best way for me to go. Has or is anyone running the rear leafs reversed and if so how does it ride/perform(is it safe)? ( I know this nets 4-5" of axle movement to the rear) Im going to keep leafs so Im trying to figure out a setup that will give me no less then 3" stretch of the axle. I can weld and do plan on changing teh shackle location if needed. Any thoughts on this would be great!

I don't know if it'd move it 3 inches but the tnt U bolt eliminators make it possible to move the axle back some.

I think Im going to pull some Chevy 1/2 ton springs which if I read correctly will net me 5" of stretch. And Ill take apart my Rustys 6.5" springs and make basically a bastard spring with the Chevy main and the Rustys lift portion. We will see if that works.

i have the rusty 4.5 rear springs and 2 in shackles long arms in the front for 6.5 overall lift and i thought the same about flippin the rear springs around so one day a buddy and i did it rides the same but you will have to cut your rear quarter and do something about your driveline im happy i did it i also ordered my front lower control arms 1 in longer and adjusted them for 2 1/4 further forward from stock (looks cool stretched) and my aproach and departure angles are great post pics up if you do it for others to see i wish i had a cam so i could put some up of mine for you to see

The front half of a leaf spring acts as a control arm to locate the axle, and it controls axle wrap. This is why the front half of a spring pack has leaves that extend closer to the spring hanger than they do in the rear half of the pack. When the spring pack is flipped around, the weaker end of the pack is now in front, so axle wrap will be increased and the springs will wear out/collapse fairly quickly....if you do much with it.

Not a good idea.

I'm running my leafs flipped. I'm sitting at around 108-110" WB give or take (not all from the rear). I moved the tank up into the cargo area as it would have been right in the way. I also had to run a crossmember for the upper shock mounts. I've got a anti wrap bar installed and the jeep peformes fine.

I did a s10 bastard pack and a quick and durty measurement looked like it would move the axle back about 3"

It looked like it might just bolt in.

It looked like it might just bolt in

the s10 bastard pack shouldn't move it anywhere...

i have the rusty 4.5 rear springs and 2 in shackles long arms in the front for 6.5 overall lift and i thought the same about flippin the rear springs around so one day a buddy and i did it rides the same but you will have to cut your rear quarter and do something about your driveline im happy i did it i also ordered my front lower control arms 1 in longer and adjusted them for 2 1/4 further forward from stock (looks cool stretched) and my aproach and departure angles are great post pics up if you do it for others to see i wish i had a cam so i could put some up of mine for you to see

One word...

PUNCTUATION!

tayman said:
the s10 bastard pack shouldn't move it anywhere...

I think he was saying if you bolt in the s10 pack.

My plan was to redrill the mainleaf an inch back, and drill a hole in the spring pearch and ubolt plates an inch back to move it back 2 inches. I wonder if having an extra hole in the main leaf would cause it to break though.

Yup, I agree. He probably meant using the whole S-10 spring. I've been thinking about using the whole spring pack myself. My thinking is that in addition to providing 4 inches of lift and moving the axle back 3 inches, it'll also improve your shackle angle as well since it's about 2.5 inches longer in total length than the stock springs. Boomerang shackles probably would help clear some of the sheet metal at the rear spring mount during flex. I'd really be interested in feedback from people who've tried using the whole S-10 spring spring pack. Any experienced opinions?

Here's a good site for spring length info:
http://www.generalspringkc.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=111&pg=1

So essentially the S10 spring is 2 1/8 inches longer then the XJ spring @ 26/28 compared to 23/28 5/8. But the axle offset is 3" to the rear. Im gonna make a trip to the JY tommorrow as my driver door switch panel is falling apart and I need 1. I think Ill pull a set just to test cause IIRC they are like $20 a leaf. Im gonna try and get the 5 pack leaf if I can find it. The 4" of lift you net from the S10 pack, is that from the 4 pack or 5 pack leaf?

flexdout said:
So essentially the S10 spring is 2 1/8 inches longer then the XJ spring @ 26/28 compared to 23/28 5/8. But the axle offset is 3" to the rear. Im gonna make a trip to the JY tommorrow as my driver door switch panel is falling apart and I need 1. I think Ill pull a set just to test cause IIRC they are like $20 a leaf. Im gonna try and get the 5 pack leaf if I can find it. The 4" of lift you net from the S10 pack, is that from the 4 pack or 5 pack leaf?

tomorrow as in sunday? which one? ill go

I have my rear leaves flipped. Though i run 2 more leaves in my pack from an old 6" lift spring i had. and those added leafs are longer than the ones originally in my skyjacker 8" springs so they beefed up the pack and i dont have bad axle wrap with my springs turned around backwards... But i will be putting in a traction bar eventually just because i have one somebody gave me...

Since most who've done the bastard pack with the S-10 leaves yield about 3-4 inches of lift, I would imagine 4+ inches of lift with the whole pack. Not sure how much the lift would vary among the number of leafs in the stock pack, but they are preset for a specific vehicle, so I would imagine they would all be pretty close in lift height if you're not hauling too much.

You will need a new driveshaft and watch clearance to the gas tank, and maybe need axle shims to correct the pinion angle.

Keep us posted on your work.

My s10 bastard pack used only the xj main leaf and the full 3-leaf pack from the s10. It went up about 2 inches from where is was so it's 1 inch over stock.

I haven't measured but at first glance I don't see any clearance issues. If this gets well vetted it could become a popular swap: cheap lift, better shackle angles w/o relocating them, and a slight wheelbase bump. The rear tires tend to rub the front of the wheelwells, right? So this could them clearance that way too.

CaliGold said:
You will need a new driveshaft and watch clearance to the gas tank, and maybe need axle shims to correct the pinion angle.

Keep us posted on your work.

I have the lengthened driveshaft already, gas tank has been moved up into the rear hatch area and I have shaved the leaf perches off the axle and have new 1's to weld on so I can get the angle perfect!

all my leafs are the same length from the center hole and i dont have any axle wrap and i wheel the crap out of mine on trails and rocks it flexes great i went to the planters day 4x4 show and shine in woodland on sunday and i scored 910 on the rti ramp

Back