• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going to try to recharge A/C, compressor help!

dorsalfin

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 sport, and I am tired of the damn Tennessee heat, and I am going to try to see if the systems needs a recharge. I plan on picking up a can of r134 with the gauge on it. My main question is:

How can I tell if the Compressor is kicking on?

It blows no cold air at all, and I am afriad the compressor has shut down due to lack of coolant. So, how do I tell if its working or not, and if not how to I "jump it" as I've heard that might have to be done.

Thanks,

oh, and I searched for this one.:compwork:

Really not a job for the novice IMO. The system takes a specific amount of freon by weight. So you really have to get all the old stuff out before you start. Then to do it right you need a vacuum pump. Often the leak is in the condenser and nearly impossible to get to or test for. Your gonna want to find the leak before adding freon in most cases. You often have to be quick with the control switches and the valves to get all of the freon out of the can, something hard to do without practice, some basic knowledge of how the system works and how it reacts during a fill.

Last edited:
ok, im not looking for a leak, i am adding the r134, and I have both low and high gauges for the a/c system. All I want to know is how can you visually tell if the compressor is kicking over.

dorsalfin said:
ok, im not looking for a leak, i am adding the r134, and I have both low and high gauges for the a/c system. All I want to know is how can you visually tell if the compressor is kicking over.
You can see and hear the fan clutch engage.
Not certain on the 2000 but on most you can run a hot wire straight from the battery to the clutch wire at the connector and check the clutch for basic functioning. You'll hear it and see movement when it engages. Just engage it momentarily, for a test. If you leave it engaged with low freon ( have the motor running) and have a leak you can run the system into vacuum and suck air (and moisture from humidity) *into* the system. Any moisture on the *inside* is bad news. Purge the manifold gage hoses with a little squirt of freon before connecting, so you don't suck up any air or moisture from the hoses. The high side connection is rarley needed for a fill, a little extra insurance in case you over fill, but then you have to deal with the freon trapped in the high side hose.

Last edited:
dorsalfin said:
1-Get a friend
2-Open the hood
3-Turn the A/C off & start the engine
When the A/C is off, the pulley will spin with the belt
but the inside of the pulley will not spin with the outside(clutch not engaged)
4-While you look at the compressor have your friend turn on the A/C
If the clutch engages, the inside will turn with the pulley

UNLESS... the pressure is too low. You said you have gauges so you would know.

If your pressure is low, but not zero, hook up the bottle, open the fill valve on the compressor(if yours has one) and turn on the A/C. If the clutch engages, fill'er up! If it doesn't, fill it and see if it engages.

BE SURE YOU'RE ON THE LOW PRESSURE SIDE!

Good luck!

Back