• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heads up on a winch

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
On post here I've found a Milemarker SI 12,000 on sale.
SI12000-winch.jpg

The cheapest I've found it for is 575.00 online; they have it here for 525.00 no taxes.

If anyone is interested, let me know; there is only one there as of 2 days ago. If you want it, let me know and we'll work something out.

John

my uncles would dis-own me if i bought a mile-marker..

then again. they work at warn... 9.5ti $495

nw-xj-scott said:
my uncles would dis-own me if i bought a mile-marker..

then again. they work at warn... 9.5ti $495

aww.....you suck dude!!! i think i paid just under a grand for mine.....and its still in the box:(

Damn that's a good deal...I want one, but I dont have the money right now, and I think a 8000lbs winch would be fine for me.

mud1059 said:
While 8k is fine for you, why not get a 12k for less than the price of the 8?

Faster line speeds....

don't most 8k-12k winches use the same motor? I thought the higher rated ones were just geared lower?

Depends on brand I would imagine. I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable on the subject. I haven't been on the market since ~2000.

Yes, many of the 8K - 12K winches do have the same motors, gear is often different. This is not always the case. Not sure for the MM.

Most MM have a slower line speed, I have not compared the 12K. Isn't that what Pat Hatten had?

Michael

mud1059 said:
Depends on brand I would imagine. I'm not exactly the most knowledgeable on the subject. I haven't been on the market since ~2000.

TYPICALLY slower and have a fatter, shorter cable.

MM is the same thing as any other chink winch. Check harbor freight, cotsco, etc for the same plastic design and get the cheapest one. Good price on the MM John posted. Would be OK for a tow rig or trailer.

ECKSJAY said:
TYPICALLY slower and have a fatter, shorter cable.

MM is the same thing as any other china made winch. Check harbor freight, cotsco, etc for the same plastic design and get the cheapest one. Good price on the MM John posted. Would be OK for a tow rig or trailer.

not to be rude but, fixed it for ya

Looks like a good prive and I know my is not the same model by I am sending my second MM9.5 back and swaping for Warn 8k. As the MM has failed me each time I used it. On my model the way the rope is secured to drum slips and rope spins on drum this has happened each pull I have made with it.

It's not a "good deal" if it sucked. :D

Just save up and buy a Warn. It should be a one-time purchase, or maybe once a decade at most on a recreational wheeling rig. Buy the best, you cheap bastards.

I ran into the Warn guys on a trail about two months ago. They were testing competitors winches. The two I saw were a T-rex which made it 3 pulls up a gentle incline before it burnt up and some other no name that is going to be offered through Competion Specialties which burned up in half a pull. I didn't get a chance to see a MM run though. They said the Warn standard for the same winch is 19 pulls before failure. Like Fubar says pony up the first time or when you need it the most you will be let down.

ECKSJAY said:
Good price on the MM John posted. Would be OK for a tow rig or trailer.

I think it would be great for a tow rig, and that's what I had in mind. And just for the record, my Chinese winch on the Jeep has been beaten and abused and it still works fine.....just slowly.

Los Lobos said:
I ran into the Warn guys on a trail about two months ago. They were testing competitors winches. The two I saw were a T-rex which made it 3 pulls up a gentle incline before it burnt up and some other no name that is going to be offered through Competion Specialties which burned up in half a pull. I didn't get a chance to see a MM run though. They said the Warn standard for the same winch is 19 pulls before failure. Like Fubar says pony up the first time or when you need it the most you will be let down.

19 pulls? I assume this wasn't a simple pull?? Was this a dead weight pull of some sort?

Bottom line, with a difference of just a couple hundred dollars, there's no real reason to scrimp on something that when you need it, you really need it.

fubar XJ said:
Bottom line, with a difference of just a couple hundred dollars, there's no real reason to scrimp on something that when you need it, you really need it.

thats the main reason why i bought a warn. i dont want it failing when I need it.

Back