• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well Im Officially Pissed....

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
So im sure some of you remember my numerous posts about my oil leak, well me and a buddy tracked it down 2 weeks ago and replaced the the o rings on the oil filter adapter. It was bone dry for 2 days straight. Then there were some spots underneath the jeep. So we checked it out again and it was coming from the same spot, so this time i got the O rings from the dealership instead of napa, and got em installed last night and test drove it before i took it home and everything was good, so i parked it last night and this morning i found yet another spot of oil under my jeep. So i get underneath and check the oil filter adapter and they is a little oil around that area, but not enough to be a big deal, so im guessing its just leftover from taking it off and stuff. Well then i look at the 2 lines that follow along the passenger sde of the oil pan (Im guessing tranny lines or something) and there is a drip of oil on the elbow bend of it where it almost meets up with the bellhousing. So im lost here, Im SO SICK of dealing with leaking oil. The RMS is not leaking, the VC is not leaking, The Oil Pressure sending unit is not leaking, and i just did the O rings 2 times. Now the only thing left is the oil pan gasket, but i dont see any signs of it leaking and how the hell oil would get on the 2 lines and run down?

ANY HELP???

Do you have an auto or manual? If auto, is it your tranny fluid leaking on it's way to the cooler?

its an auto and im not exactly sure. i just drove it around going slow as to not throw anything around, so im going to check it in a couple of hours and see whats up. But one guy said that it could possibly be one of my transmission pressure lines that run along the passenger side of the oil pan could be leaking and need replacing.

If it starts leaking from the oil filter housing, than there is a possibility that the oil filter housing is warped. My mechanic would sand the matting surface, to stop it from leaking.

if this is for a a renix(87-90), i went to the dealer for the 3 0-rings kit for my 89 and installed it. sure enough it leaked. let it go for over a year until i decided to replace the RMS and valve cover. went to a different dealership for the o-ring kit. parts guy came out with the kit, tore it open, looked at the computer screen and went back and brought out a different size o-ring(the middle sized one) and replaced it with one from the kit. asked him what he was doing and he told me the older jeeps needed a diferent size than the newer ones. installed it and have no leaks.
dont know if this helps.

Is your oil pressure too high? Might be a dumb question, but it might not be...

With the engine off, get under the jeep and wipe everythin clean!!! Make sure you are chocked and e-brake set and start the engine. Now get under there and watch for your leak!!

ColoradoRaptor said:
With the engine off, get under the jeep and wipe everythin clean!!! Make sure you are chocked and e-brake set and start the engine. Now get under there and watch for your leak!!
X2. grab a gallon of degreaser from advance or somewhere and put it in a spray bottle. get under there and spray the hell outta everything. wipe everything down after the degreaser has had some time to do its magic. throw out rag. repeat. rinse with hose. let dry.

is it possible that you have a leak on the front end of the block? timing chain cover maybe. the tranny cooler lines run through that area and could run down the lines to the lowest point before leaking on the ground.

tigerShark said:
X2. grab a gallon of degreaser from advance or somewhere and put it in a spray bottle. get under there and spray the hell outta everything. wipe everything down after the degreaser has had some time to do its magic. throw out rag. repeat. rinse with hose. let dry.

X3. Chasing leaks on an old XJ is part of the "charm". Oil, brake fluid, tranny fluid, PS fluid, coolant, and all other manner of liquids seem to migrate all over the undercarriage. Once you clean it all off, you be able to better determine the type of leak and source.

My '88 "weeps" a bit here and there but not badly enough to make fixing it a priority.

I have cleaned everything. I used brake cleaner to make sure everything was really dry . And i understand that its an older jeep but im not the kind of person to just let it leak something. If i have the money/time to fix it, then im going to fix it. I drove it yesterday up this construction site thats behind my house and drove slow as to not throw anything around, and played around these dirt roads just to get the engine hot and then drove back to my house and parked it. Then i checked it periodically and the ground was dry and so was everything on the jeep. So hopefully it was just leftover oil from when i replaced the o rings on the oil filter adapter.

Back