• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.2 in cherokee

dysfunction1186

NAXJA Forum User
so i just got another project cherokee, 286k on the I6(hard miles too) and I have a 5.2 grand cherokee totaled but engine still runs (48k) in the garage, will the bellhousing fit to my tranny (cherokee tranny) the chreokee trans is brand new only have like 100 miles on it same with t-case, wanna hear from some of yall before i tear it apart and find out it isnt going to work.

Good luck with hooking it to the AW4. You mgiht as well swap in the whole GC drivetrain. Theres a member on NAXJA that has a Jeep like that his names 5.2poweredxj.

i agree, much easier doing entire drivetrain

yea it just sux that its a brand new trans, but i cant complain i bought the jeep for $400 so i will make it work(he just put the RE 5.5 long arm kit on it and fell into bad times and i just was in the right place at the right time)will the 231 transfer bolt to the GC trans?

Last edited:
Look up that member who has it done. He would have alot of advice some of us can't even think of.

There's also a Yahoo! group devoted to V8 swaps in XJ/MJ - v8cherokeexjowners, I think it's called (I could be wrong.)

If the SBChevvy will fit, the SBMopar should fit as well. However, I think you won't be able to find a bellhousing to mate the AW4 to the SBMopar, so I'd plan on swapping out the whole drivetrain as well (what comes in there - the 42RE? Decent, but I'd rather have a 4WD version of the A727...)

If your AW4 is new/low miles, save it as a spare for your AMC-powered rig, or sell it for a few bucks.

Back