• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Having some lower control arm problems

XJbigman

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I know its a common question and I have even tried searching it but I couldnt find anything. For the past two days I have been installing another two inches of lift to the already 3.5 inches I have. The rear was no problem but I am having some difficulties with the front. I bought a adj track bar that is currently installed the coil spacers are also already in there but the control arms are no lining up at all. I do not have adj ones and I know that could probably solve everything but I am a college student and I have no money. I do however have the ones that came with the lift kit which are rubicon express. Whatever i do the holes just wont line up there probably about a inch from lining up and its driving me crazy. Any advice would be extremely helpful because i cant wait to go wheeling with the extra lift.

I find it easiest to remove the trackbar, then use ratchet straps and pure muscle to line up the holes and get the arms on, then install the trackbar.

ive used a "come a long" attached to the axle and crossmember. another way that i did it was that since i was working on a slight downward incline, was to block off the front tires, put it in neutral, put foot on brake and release the ebrake. i let up on the brake pedal until the rear wheels/body pushed the control arms enough to line up the arms.

are the RE arms longer than stock? if not, stock arm length and 5.5" of lift is a bad idea unless you get drop brackets. your caster and pinion angle will be way off and the springs will be bowed. IMHO, it wouldnt be safe on the highway.

x2 on the DB's

89xj said:
are the RE arms longer than stock? if not, stock arm length and 5.5" of lift is a bad idea unless you get drop brackets. your caster and pinion angle will be way off and the springs will be bowed. IMHO, it wouldnt be safe on the highway.

This will be your biggest issue here. If your caster is off you'll chew through ball joints. The bad pinion angle can cause vibes. The steep angle of your control arms will also cause you to start getting a LOT more shock from every bump in the road transfered to the cabin. It can make for a pretty jarring ride.

I'm sitting at 6" of lift and I suffered from all of these above issues until I installed drop brackets. The ride quality is night and day. I enjoy driving my XJ on the highway again and hopefully I won't be replacing my ball joints every year!

To answer your question though. First I muscle the axle as close as I can, usually I can get it wihin 3/4" of lining up. Then I use my floor jack and a pipe wrench to get my control arm bolts to line up. Fit the pipe wrench on the axle tube and use the floor jack to push up the pipe wrench causing the axle housing to rotate in the direction you need it to rotate. Do this till it lines up. Works like a charm every time.

Thanks for all your help I just got the control arms in and the even thought he ride suck it still goes. I also just ordered a pair of drop brackets from rubicon express so ill let everyone know how much better it rides.

Last edited:
Back