• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another stupid question. . .

climbingbum

NAXJA Forum User
So i changed the oil in my xj this evening for the second time, i switched from the standard jiffy lube oil (Quackerstate) to mobile 1 synthetic. So my first question is wether is was a bad idea to make the switch and my second question is what happens if i over filled it. The reason i ask about the over filling is because aside from the spillage i made originally there seems to be some oil that has been coming out from under the cap where you fill it after i drove it for a bit.

And to clarify, i dont believe i filled it over by much, considering i put the 6 quarts in recommened by the book and possibly just a bit more

That would be from the wicking ability of the synthetic oil. If your cap doesn't tighten enough or has a less than ideal seal, you'll see some oil moisture around the cap and the vent fittings.

possibly your CCV system is clogged if your getting smoke out the oil fill cap.

check to see if the CCV elbow and grommet on the back top of valve cover is clogged.

dont worry if you put a bit more than 6 qts in, its fine.

89xj said:
possibly your CCV system is clogged if your getting smoke out the oil fill cap.

check to see if the CCV elbow and grommet on the back top of valve cover is clogged.

dont worry if you put a bit more than 6 qts in, its fine.

x2 Also, open up your air box and see if there is some oil blowing onto the filter too. This could be a sign of a clogged CCV system. Don't worry too much though, it shouldn't be a hard fix. Good luck!

Back