• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found something that could be promising...

rcmf5525

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Through a friend of a friend, I have found a 2002 Ford F550 for around $1,500. Hell, if it rolls its a great deal. I am going to look at it tomorrow so I dont have any first hand knowledge, but it was used as a parts truck. He said he just wanted to get rid of it??? It sounds too good to be true, but we will see...

My questions are:

- I know it has a Dana 60 front, but it is a dual rear wheel so how hard is it to convert the front axle to a single wheel set up? Is it as simple as removing a spacer and replacing the hub with a single wheel hub? I hope so!!!

- This might be off the wall, but, has anyone ever heard of a 7.3L Power Stroke put in an XJ? I would imagine it would be way too heavy/big but that would be a bad mother... I guess anything can be done but at what cost/pain...

I think I will just grab the front axle and sell off the rest. I should be able to make the $1500 back at least...

EDIT: The 7.3L weighs in at 960lbs dry!!!!! So forget that!

Last edited:
Prepmech said:
Good find, one hell of a deal. Very few were 4x4. What kind of body is on it? It could have 4.56 or 4.88 gears.
actually it depends on what state you live in cause it seems it's hard to find a 2wheel one here(at least i've only seen a few on the lots) as for the front axle the one i replaced on the work truck didn't have spacers it had a huge hub unit that weighed a ton on it's own good luck!!

Look for an older SRW F350. I bought a single-rear-wheel 1988 F350 for $1100 bucks a few months ago. I kept the front 60, and sold the rest of the parts for about $1500 bucks. I'd wait for a single-rear-wheel with the 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern.

jmaxj said:
actually it depends on what state you live in cause it seems it's hard to find a 2wheel one here(at least i've only seen a few on the lots) as for the front axle the one i replaced on the work truck didn't have spacers it had a huge hub unit that weighed a ton on it's own good luck!!

That makes sense, not much use for the 4x4 ones here.

Are the inner Cs on the F550 axle the same as a F350, so you could swap the F350 knuckles onto the F550 axle?

Im hoping so! I know they make single wheel conversions for the 550s. I have seen one rolling around here in Savannah. Of course it is just a show truck but it is HUGE!

Prepmech said:
That makes sense, not much use for the 4x4 ones here.

Are the inner Cs on the F550 axle the same as a F350, so you could swap the F350 knuckles onto the F550 axle?
not sure i would imagine since it's pretty much the same front axle, but i have also heard that some 350's have a hybrid 60 in them also but i don't no much about that either

I read somewhere that the 05-07 F550s had what is reffered to as the "super 60". I dont know what that is and have yet to find it mentioned in earlier year models...

FYI,

I looked into swapping a 60 from a late modle superduty erra f-350. The problem that i ran into is that they have the funky superduty 8 on 170MM wheel lug pattern. So you have to buy rims for a ford superduty and they only come in 16.5in. But what really turned me away from it is the fact that you then have to use the crappy rearend from the same truck to keep the wheel patterns matching front to rear. Not sure if that applies to the 550 front ends or not might want to check.

Just my .02

Jerms

8x170mm is the same as 8x6.5. The issue is the newer bolt pattern of 8x200mm... But I got ya!

Edit: 8x220mm...

The Sterling 10.25 rear axle is by no means a crappy axle. Some came with disc brakes, they are plenty strong, and there is pretty good aftermarket support for them to serve to the superduty crowd. It is big and heavy, but that is the price you pay for strength.

We have quite a few superduty trucks, all are '02 and newer, and none have 16.5" wheels. Mine had 16x9 Eagle alloy 589s, my brother's has 20" aluminum wheels, and we have another with 17" wheels. I've never had any problems finding aftermarket wheels for them.

Last edited:
rcmf5525 said:
8x170mm is the same as 8x6.5. The issue is the newer bolt pattern of 8x200mm... But I got ya!

Edit: 8x220mm...
No its not. Its close, but slightly larger.

Ramsey said:
No its not. Its close, but slightly larger.

Wow, I have been told they were the same, but I just looked into it and they will not interchange. My bad! Glad I never ordered the 8x170mm wheels I had my eyes on!! LOL!!

Back