• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

registering a small business

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
What needs to happen? I found out that I need to register the business name with County of Orange but then what. Do cities usually require a license of sorts as well? I looked at the city of Westminster's site and I couldn't find anything useful.

hellbilly04 said:
you need to file for a fictitious business name. Run an add in you local paper for 4 business days.
That's what I found... for some reason it feels like there has to be more to it, but if there is nothing extra then that's perfect :D

Some cities require a permit some don't, but you will also need to request a buisness license from the state if you plan on "selling anything" not that hard to do, but still time consumeing!

This is what I have in La Habra for a sole proprietorship....your needs may be different.

File a fictitious business name statement with Orange County.
Publish your fictitious business name statement in a local paper.
Obtain a business license from the City.
Obtain a Sellers Permit from the California State Board of Equalization.
Obtain an Employer Identification Number from the Department of the Treasury.

Kejtar said:
What needs to happen? I found out that I need to register the business name with County of Orange but then what. Do cities usually require a license of sorts as well? I looked at the city of Westminster's site and I couldn't find anything useful.

Call me tomorrow and I can guide you through the steps. There are plenty of them.

erikwylie said:
Some cities require a permit some don't, but you will also need to request a buisness license from the state if you plan on "selling anything" not that hard to do, but still time consumeing!

Actually, it is a seller's permit with the EDD so they can collect taxes, because all business' are good for is sucking them dry of tax revenue, according to the gov't lackys.

I digress.

Also be careful what kind of business you categorized it as . For example depending on the city if you register in if you choose automotive they want hazardous waste permits. Parts washing tanks are the biggest pain.
Danny

Kejtar said:
Cool! Things should be easy then: not planning to sell anyting.. not planning to employ anyone :D

Businesses that don't sell anything or employ anyone are called shams or communism. While the latter you might be familliar with, the former will put you in jail!

Check the dictionary.

gcurtis said:
Businesses that don't sell anything or employ anyone are called shams or communism. While the latter you might be familliar with, the former will put you in jail!

Check the dictionary.

I''ll give ya a call :D

Back