• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What paint to use for XJ Roof Racks

JohnnyTurbo

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All, Newbie here. I am doing a crazy restoration of my 1991 XJ Limited with 185K on it. Started with just a few patches to the floor over the tank because the rug was damp. Ended up with 44 patches, looks like a quilt now... Anywho, it seemed like the thing to do was paint it nice, naturally I have more in DuPont paint than it will ever be worth but only on a forum like this one can I confess these facts. Well, I have the stock cross roof racks that are extruded aluminum with a rubberized black paint on them. They could use some spots refinished and I was wondering what kind of paint to use since it needs to be pretty UV resistant and have that smooth rubber grip finish. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hamerite makes a primer for non ferrous metals, that is good stuff. Chrome, aluminum, copper, brass whatever. Primer on the aluminum and paint of your choice for the finish.
I've had good luck with Rustolium outdoor BBQ grill paint. Kind of a satin or half flat finish that holds up well. I used it on my XJ :) grill and it's been looking good for five years now.
Hamerite is always a good choice for a durable touch up, but I don't remember seeing a satin finish in their product.
Two coats of Hamerite over the patches and on the floorboards will last a good long time. I just got through doing my passengers side (again) after a couple of years, my last patches looked good, the Hammerite traditional gloss held up fine, there were a few new spots that started to rot. This time I painted the whole pan instead of spot painting.

Danke Shoene! I have some of the grill paint on my shelf, I'll have to try it on a spot. I was expecting some sort of rubberized paint to help with the load holding. It seems pretty thick and has some give to it. I have the rubber inserts out and they will go in again fine, just hoping to make it look stock. First day out of the garage with the new paint was yesterday. I obvioulsly need brighter lights in my garage...

Thanks again

Back