• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel stud/lug question.

xj_pilot

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a set of ATX Mojave wheels, the lugs are 9/18-something and they fit into the wheel as it is machined that way. The stock wheel studs are 1/2-18 maybe so the lugs have a smaller seating surface. I am not to keen on this any input? Thanks!

What bolt pattern are the wheels? Whats the exact size of the holes?

I know toyotas run a 12mm stud and the wheel has a hole that measures .637.

a hole thats .5625 ( 9/16) should be fine with a .500 stud.

Trouble said:
What bolt pattern are the wheels? Whats the exact size of the holes?

I know toyotas run a 12mm stud and the wheel has a hole that measures .637.

a hole thats .5625 ( 9/16) should be fine with a .500 stud.

The hole is slightly larger than 9/16-18 stud, sorry don't have an exact size, the pattern is 5 - 4.5". My concern is that there will not be enough surface area on the stock lug nuts to properly secure the wheel. the 9/16-18 lug nut has a much larger mating surface that matches the recess on the wheel. The stock lug nut is smaller. Anyone????

The stock lugs are threaded 1/2"-20, and a 9/16" UNF should come back to 18tpi (9/16"-18UNF should be the callout. Just for your edification...)

Are they "acorn" style lugs? Does the centre hole fit well over the hub? The "acorn" lug fits into a tapered seat, which also helps to align the wheel - and if the centre hole fits closely over the hub projection, that will also help to locate the wheel. If those two work, you should be fine. I'm not sure if there are "lug washers" out there to help expand the taper of the lug nut on acorn lugs - and if you were to install larger (9/16") lugs, you'd have to take the shafts out and the hub bearings off up front, and have them bored out to accept the larger studs. Doable, but it could get spendy (especially since those holes are for a press-fit splined stud, meaning that the tolerance on them is fairly close.)

It kinda sounds like you have no clue whats giong on here!Bolt pattern is bolt pattern.After that you get into the type of fastener,either std taper nut or possibbly a shoulder nut.Other than that its just about the the length of the shoulder based on the rim thickness!

Edit:This was meant for the original OP.

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:
It kinda sounds like you have no clue whats giong on here!Bolt pattern is bolt pattern.After that you get into the type of fastener,either std taper nut or possibbly a shoulder nut.Other than that its just about the the length of the shoulder based on the rim thickness!

There could be some problem if there is too much difference between the stud and the hole - trying to fit a 9/16" bore and seat onto a 7/16" or a 10m/m stud could be a problem - but fitting a 9/16" onto a 1/2" or a 12m/m stud should not.

I only asked about the hub hole to make sure it's going to fit well. I know that "bolt pattern is bolt pattern," but the hub hole can help to keep the wheel seated and located, and take some stress off of the tapered seats. I did bring it up for a reason...

Thanks to everyone that has replied to my posting. Sorry for the tardy reply my computer burst into flames and it took some time to put it out. I simply purchased the AR 1/2-20 lug nuts they have the same large 60° surface as the lug nuts that came with the wheels and are meant for them.

Back