• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much lift to fit 35s?

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
After searching for a few days I haven't been able to find out an answer. I have about 4.5" of lift and was planning on picking up some 33s, and trimming a bit. However I found a set of 35x12.5 BFG AT's for $300. I know that ATs measure a bit on the smaller side, but not extremely so. Will I be able to fit these on with bushwackers or relocating the stock flares and bumpstopping, or would it have to be a major hack job. As far as strength goes, I have the 29 spline 8.25, and I really don't wheel rocks. Its mroe for moderate mud/water and old logging roads, washouts. So flex isn't a huge concern either. So what do you guys think, worth the trouble? I don't really need 35s, but hell the price is good.

I would pick them up and trim to fit. I put a set of 35" truxs MT's on a RE 5.5" lift and have plenty of room once I trimmed. I have even thought about losing a inch. I also have a 98 and you need to trimm down the front bumper corners, if you want to keep the front stock fender flares you will need to move them up and trim the inner shelf off them, lose the inner splash guard, find a pool float noddle and stuff it in the opening to help protect the door area. For the rear cut the inner shelf off the flares, if you need more room, start looking for TJ flares front and rear and cut and bend back the weld seam. Also run a bead of silicone along the inner weld seam to help with water control.

buddy of mine put 35's on a 3 inch lift with considerable trimming, it just depends how much u want to cut. imo that the best heigth for 35's is 5.5-6, i run 33's with 5 but i rely on my suspension more than my tires

I run 35's on 6.5" of lift and I will say its FAR MORE THAN NECESSARY. I trimmed like a mofo, and have considered dropping down to 5" next time I need to buy leaf's.

-C

Thats mine Doug refers to....My saw and hammer are my favorite tools.

PICT0075.jpg

Most of the wheeling I do isn't dependant on suspension up travel/flex, I use droop more than anything. Honestly I simply want the ground clearance for clearing ditches, rare rocks, or fallen trees. I would prefer slightly more lift for this setup, but If I can trim, keep flares on it and keep it looking good, Im all for more tire.

My main problem is my rear shock mounts. I also do not think I could get flares back on mine-at full flex, with short arms, I still get into my fenders.

For what it's worth, I don't have stock arms. I have longer arms, uppers and lowers, but no drops or longarm kit.

I just put 35's on mine about 2 weeks ago. When the weather allows I'll post up some pics of mine with 4.5" Crusty's leaf pack lift with 1.75" front spacers and trimming. They barely rub with 15x8 rims with 3.75" back spacing and properly bumpstopping. I also have both front and rear swaybars removed as well.

This was earlier this year with 33's. I hadn't modified the bumpstops and it took chunks out of the front and rear tires. It's actually better with bumpstops and 35's.
p13-1146408006.jpg

Hey Excss, this is gregmondro from Jeepforum. Looks like i'm almost ready to do that powertrax no-slip in the rear here pretty soon :D

Good to see that you like the 35s, that little extra ground clearance can make a whole world of difference.

Try to keep the lift to a minimum and instead invest in a good sawzal and cut away as far as you can in the back without cutting into the pinchseam welds. Cut a inch or so and every few inches and pound the metal into the wheelwell with a BFH; trim the front till your hearts content, you can always get new front fenders if you want and they are not structural. Take your time in the back to avoid a big headache if you cut into the pinchseam welds. I'd say 5" is good for 35's, I run about 8" with 37's and had this same lift with 35's, I rub a little in the back.

What gears do you have, you might want to think about that and 35's. The 29 spline 8.25 is o.k., I'd say go with 4.56 gears if you keep the 8.25 or 4.88s if you get a XJ dana 44 or Ford 8.8 in the back. Good luck, and have fun! :)

Troy

Stock gears for now, eventual 4.56s. Gonna suck for a while but Ill live with it. From a quick measure I just did I have just shy of 5" in the rear and about 5.5" front. I also checked my 31" ATs, they are just shy of 30" now half worn and parked in dirt. So Im assuming 35s with the same tread wear would be 34" or just shy of. Hmmm this is not looking good for my wallet :) but good for my jeep.

Do you think, with the amount of trimming you did, that you could have remounted factory flares? If you had trimmed a little less? It definately looks good, but here thats what cops watch for the most.

Ex CCS Racer said:
Aftermarker flares would solve that though($$$).

Thats the problem I keep running into, too. Its the rear that Im more worried about, actually. I could probably run 33s right now up front with no more trimming(other than the front bumper endcap thingys), or the 35s as long as I didn't roll over anything bigger than a pebble in a straight line.

But as long as I get droop, and it doesn't destroy my fenders, its all good. All in the name of ground clearance!

Back