• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will the 36's fit? Or is it pushing the limits?

palmetto_xj

NAXJA Forum User
With a brand new 6" lift with new springs, shocks, everything, what is the MAXIMUM tire I can slap on it? Is 36's pushing it too hard with minor fender trimming?

ummmm 35's with alot of trimming, especially in the rear

36's with a hair over 6" of lift. You need to trim and bumpstop, but more importantly you will need to address your axles and steering. Just throwing 36's on your rig will find you on the side of the road sooner than you think.

39959566208_0_bg.jpg

I rock 36s on about 6". Fenders are mui trimmed. But more importantly make sure you:

1) Don't have a Dana 35 out back
2) Have upgraded shafts in the front
3) Have upgraded steering and/or steering box bracing
4) Have some nice low gears (4.10 or lower with a manual, 4.56 or lower with an auto)

If you don't take care of the guts, you will be sorry. You could probably get away with it in town, but first trip offroad...BANG / CRASH - SNAP !!
I actually get some rubbing on my control arms at fully over but that, I think, is due to wheel backspacing.

36's .. 27 spline 8.25 .. 4.10's .. manual trans.

Wow. That still goes down the road?

I've been twisting off 30 spline 4340 dana 44 shafts with 35's. I just had to upgrade to 35 spline shafts.

all depends on how far down you push that little skinny pedal on the right.

cal said:

I've been twisting off 30 spline 4340 dana 44 shafts with 35's. I just had to upgrade to 35 spline shafts.

When you say "twisting off" you mean the splines rip off, or the axle twists and breaks into two pieces?

Mudderoy said:
When you say "twisting off" you mean the splines rip off, or the axle twists and breaks into two pieces?

The axle breaks at the splines, or you pull the shaft out for whatever reasons and the splines are twisted 20+ degrees.

The point was more, if 30 spline 4340 shafts go with 35's .. 27 spline 1541h (there are no chromoly 8.25 axles) shafts are not going to hold up to 36's very well, even with very very light use.

cal said:

It runs real nice. Exactly the same as stock in fact (went from 3.07s to 4.10s and 27s to 36s - exact ratio). AX15 is much different than the AW4.

Running 36s with 4.10s on an AX15 is like
running 36s with 4.88s on an AW4. (Actually if you use the a calculator you will find it is more like 5.57 gears - but real world driving, it's more like 4.88s)

Check for yourself: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

First gear in an AX-15 is 3.83, AW4 is 2.8. This comparison alone is kind of deceiving because the torque converter in an AW4 helps the AW4 a great deal.

Your point (as you know, cuz you made it) about the 27splines breaking with the 36s is EXTREMELY VALID. I've been fortunate to never break a shaft yet, but believe you me, I carry a spare. I run it pretty hard too, not EXTREME, but I finish all the trails I start and I start some pretty good ones. 8.25 is a nice little axle. But if you ask MattyJ, he's broke several, but you Cali dudes are Nuckin Futs! What is your locker in the rear? I run a no slip which is pretty forgiving. And now that we talked about it, I will surely break a shaft next time out.

Last edited:
Mdub said:
It runs real nice. Exactly the same as stock in fact (went from 3.07s to 4.10s and 27s to 36s - exact ratio). AX15 is much different than the AW4.

Running 36s with 4.10s on an AX15 is like
running 36s with 4.88s on an AW4. (Actually if you use the a calculator you will find it is more like 5.57 gears - but real world driving, it's more like 4.88s)

Check for yourself: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

First gear in an AX-15 is 3.83, AW4 is 2.8. This comparison alone is kind of deceiving because the torque converter in an AW4 helps the AW4 a great deal.

That would be valid if you never left second or maybe third gear, but if you drive on the highway .. you're not leaving third gear. ;)

If its a trail rig, why NOT gear it lower for more control?

Most of the local ax-15 guys don't like to go bigger than 33's with 4.88 gears and want 5.13's for 35's ; and thats with a 4.0 to 5.0 low range.

Mdub said:
Your point (as you know, cuz you made it) about the 27splines breaking with the 36s is EXTREMELY VALID. I've been fortunate to never break a shaft yet, but believe you me, I carry a spare. I run it pretty hard too, not EXTREME, but I finish all the trails I start and I start some pretty good ones. 8.25 is a nice little axle. But if you ask MattyJ, he's broke several, but you Cali dudes are Nuckin Futs! What is your locker in the rear? I run a no slip which is pretty forgiving. And now that we talked about it, I will surely break a shaft next time out.

I started off with a 29 spline 8.25, no-slip, 4.56 gears and 1541 alloy usa shafts. Those worked great with 32's, but with 35's 4.56 would not cut it.

I swapped that out with a dana 44, detroit, CrMo 30 spline shafts and 4.88's. That worked ok, but I was still going through shafts.

Now I've got a dana 44, arb (model RD109), 35 spline dana 60 shafts, 4.88's and ford expedition rear brakes. I've only got a couple of runs on the setup but am confident enough that I didn't even order a spare rear shaft. At least, not at first.. I ordered it last weekend. I probably will leave it at camp, though. :)

ive got 4.10 and 31" tires with the 5 speed and could not image how bad it would suck with 36" tires on the street. ive never done rocks, but with 36's and 4.10 i cant see 4lo even being enough on rocks.

palmetto_xj said:
With a brand new 6" lift with new springs, shocks, everything, what is the MAXIMUM tire I can slap on it? Is 36's pushing it too hard with minor fender trimming?

Yes you can fit the 36s. What axles are you running? What about gears? 6" of lift will clear more than 36s if you are willing to trim and bumpstop properly...

(But what do I know, I'm on 235s! :D )

89xj said:
ive got 4.10 and 31" tires with the 5 speed and could not image how bad it would suck with 36" tires on the street. ive never done rocks, but with 36's and 4.10 i cant see 4lo even being enough on rocks.

Dude, 4.10s with 36s is EXACTLY the same as 3.07s with 27s (stock config). And as far as rocks go, I've done plenty of 'em. I've never needed more gears. Sometimes I'd like to have more but not at the expense of a top speed on road of 50mph.

Last edited:
cal said:
That would be valid if you never left second or maybe third gear, but if you drive on the highway .. you're not leaving third gear. ;)

To be completely honest, the rig identical to stock, on the street and drives and handles great. Low RPMs at 50 (in 4th) and 75mph (in 5th). I truly can say ONroad it is perfect. Passing power and MPGs, just like stock.

OFFroad, I have to admit, I would like 4.56s, but before I'd do that, I'd just do a 4:1 box so I could keep the street manners.

It's all opinion, what does each guy want in his rig. Me likes how it is, but if you have a 4:1 box you're giving away...I'll take it.:cheers:

Okay, sorry for the hijack. Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Mdub said:
Dude, 4.10s with 36s is EXACTLY the same as 3.07s with 27s (stock config). And as far as rocks go, I've done plenty of 'em. I've never needed more gears. Sometimes I'd like to have more but not at the expense of a top speed on road of 50mph.

Ive run with the guy he does just fine on the axles its the damn tires he goes through ,eh 3 wheel or is it sidewalls I forgot what we named ya at rockfest!!!

In his defense I run 35s with a built 30 upfront and stock 44 shafts in the rear and a little finesse gets me just about everywhere I want to go, skinny pedal is fun but stooopid unless needed and then still in moderation.. No busted shafts yet for me(thank god for wooden desks) but I did have to replace a tranny sooo much easier>>

Its all in how ya drive it but I do agree with the no dana 35 and 36s are for sure asking for trouble...

Last edited:
Chris @ GATR said:
Not everybody continually bounces on the rocks until shafts break.

I'm not one of those guys either. I've only ever had one shaft break on the trail, but I've found 5 bad pulling them for various reasons.

It doesnt change the point about a 27 spline 8.25, 4.10's and 36's. :)

Back