• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Diff Gasket replacement

Rew70

NAXJA Forum User
I have a rear diff. leaking and needs a new gasket. Are there any write-ups on how this is done? I've seen the posts regarding gasket v. RTV, but nothing on how the actual process is done.

I have some mechanical knowledge and have a haynes guide, etc. I've done quite a bit on her myself and want to do this too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Clean the surfaces Really good w/ a wire wheel and just add RTV around the perimeter of the cover. I use Ultra Copper on pretty much Everything I seal and Never had a leak. I apply a bead around the perimter but then smooth it out to a thin layer covering the whole sealing surface, it doesn't have to be real thick, about thickness of a dime overall. Allow to set up for a fe minutes and then install finger tight, allow to set another couple minutes and then tighten it down snug. Should be ready to fill after that.

1. Remove diff. bolts

2. Carefully pry cover off

3. Let all the old fluid drain

4. Clean all old RTV sealant off the cover and the diff. with a scraper

5. Apply new RTV by following instructions on the label

6. Tighten bolts to specs. Make sure to follow a criss-cross pattern while tightening the bolts and then fill the diff with fluid.

Actually... just follow the link posted by jimboboo above. They have pictures!

4LowandGo said:
1. Remove diff. bolts

2. Carefully pry cover off

3. Let all the old fluid drain

4. Clean all old RTV sealant off the cover and the diff. with a scraper

5. Apply new RTV by following instructions on the label

6. Tighten bolts to specs. Make sure to follow a criss-cross pattern while tightening the bolts

x2. Don't overtighten. It will leak. You should drive it for a bit before you drain it so the fluids atleast warm.

Back