• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kill Switch idea for manual tranny

mikejwil

NAXJA Forum User
I want to put at least one kill switch on my 99. The starter solenoid is a good candidate, but would by-passing the clutch pedal switch work too? Has anyone done this? My thinking is that it will not start without a signal from the clutch pedal switch even when hot-wired. Is this correct?

I really need to get an FSM...

well i would put switches on every thing and have them going every which way some are up some are down dome are 3 position. on every wire that will make the jeep unstartable. and on this note i wana do this now great. and wile im at it i will finish my blue led change on the dash lights. :)

Clutch switch? Oh - that switch I removed years ago...

I think you'd be better served with either interrupting the ignition power lead or the fuel pump power supply lead. I might also consider interrupting the CPS lead, but I've not done that, so I'm not sure how it would work, with putting a switch in there (DPST or DPDT, I'm thinking.)

The key element is anonymity - you wouldn't be able to start my truck, even if I told you which keys to use. The kill switches are "hidden in plain sight" as accessory switches, and blend right in. That's not even counting the "extra" switches (I've spent a lot of time in bad neighbourhoods...) that I've got hidden, that I only use when I feel the need to.

If you don't have electrical schematics for everything, I'd be willing to help (I have a 1999 FSM, but no scanner - yet) track things down for you.

Remember that even a kill switch won't stop a determined thief (but it's better than an alarm - even most cops out here think those things are a joke, and I think they're a waste of perfectly good solid-state electronics...) but they have stopped the casual joyrider until I came back out of the store...

5-90

I used one of those key pad cut off's with power running to it. Looks like it hooked up, but it's not . My real cut off is mounted in the cosole to interrupt the fuel pump. While the crook is tracking down the key pad the fuel pump still wont come on. I used to hollow out the lighter and put a micro switch but dummys (parking attendents) kept trying to use it, and then complained that it would not start. Now when parking I tell them, don't touch this or that or that or that etc.

You guys make me giggle ever thought of making it so simple like the glove box needs to be open to start it? For many years and on many cars I used the pin switch in the glove box as the ground for a relay to the solinoid in the trunk or under the back seat, you just wont have the light in there working any more though. and to top it off I usually used one of those little slider switches in the back of the glove box (usually under junk) to by pass the switch for if i go t o a valet or car wash type of place.

I have a friend that I kid you not has 4 switches that all have to be on (some of which are wired to the neon lights or what not so even if you try the switch it isnt obvious that it has more than one purpose.

Mine uses three cube relays and just one switch, the trick is you must cycle the switch on every start. That makes in automatic because you don't need to set it.

I tied the fuel pump shut down relay to the seat belt. No seat belt, no start as`the relay is wired in reverse to work. How many thieves actually put the seat belt on BEFORE they try to start a car? Oh, and the little red LED in the dash helps too ( makes look for stuff that is not there).

langer1 said:
Mine uses three cube relays and just one switch, the trick is you must cycle the switch on every start. That makes in automatic because you don't need to set it.

Sound interesting... Can you elaborate on this? Maybe a schematic will help me understand how it works. Do you flip the switch 3 times?

Thanks.

Anyone interested in TRULY protecting their ride (ESPECIALLY XJs :) )I have internet based GPS tracking units. This will kill the starter,control alarm system, locks, windows, hydraulics...etc via the internet. Coolest te3ch toy for your ride....EVER! I will give a SWEET deal to my fellow XJers...CALL ME on the number on the website. www.canthidethis.com

mikejwil said:
Sound interesting... Can you elaborate on this? Maybe a schematic will help me understand how it works. Do you flip the switch 3 times?

Thanks.
sounds like a latch relay, once power is applied it stays on until power is cut before the relays.

Back