• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS or Charging Problem... you decide

Pleiner87

NAXJA Forum User
The other night I was out in my '92 Sport, and the jeep would not start-up easily with each time getting worse. I jiggled the shift lever and after awhile and it would start... NSS??? well I had just rebuilt, cleaned and instaled one from the junkyard 2 months ago with no problems (and backup lights!) The jeep also got a new energizer battery in January and acording to the dash voltmeter gauge while driving it home last night it was charging (or discharging) at what seemed 11 amps, so then it would be the alternator? now the jeep will not even try to start, turn key and nothing, does not try to crank over. So i'm preatty shure it's the alternator I only brought up the NSS because of the jiggling to start method, but since the jeep will not even try to crank over (even with a low battery?) it could be a main fuse in the power distrubtion center, I have not had much time to look over anything. (only checking the NSS connections) any imput will help, i will tinker with it in the morning. Thanks Pleiner87

1992 Cherokee Sport, 4.0L H.O., AW-4

The dash voltmeter gauge is pretty inaccurate. You're best using an alalog or digital meter and testing the voltage directly at the battery.

If you have working lights and such and the vehicle will not even turn over, it is most likely the neutral safety switch. Pop it off and clean and relube it, then adjust it properly. Not hard to do and it doesn't take long, especially with a cool vehicle!

When you turn the key to start and hold it there, do all of your dash lights and blower fan turn off?

Turn the headlights on, have someone try cranking it, if the light dim out quite a bit then the NSS is working and power is getting to the starter. If the lights don't dim quite a bit then there is not power getting to the starter and I would suspect the NSS or ig switch. The previous poster brought up a good point about checking to see if the blower and radio cut off while cranking. If they don't then the ig switch is goofing up or the linkage to the ig switch is goofing up

Yeah I will test the battery with a handheld voltmeter in the morning, but for now the always inaccurate volt gauge gives me an idea. when the key is turned the jeep acts like a normal startup, only no startup, everything works lights, radio, etc... The NSS has been recently cleaned and lubed according to a write-up (found on what else but here) around two months ago with no problems since then... i will look over every thing in the morning. Thanks for the reply, things like this are always so simple yet i always overlook the obvious:roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK i just ran out side to see about the headlights, they do not dim while cranking and the radio and blower cut out while cranking. the ig switch and linkage was replaced about 3 years ago by a dealership. so in the morning i will pull the NSS and go over it again and by the sounds of it "solve" my non-starting problems!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
here is where the factory volt gauge is at... shure I did not need to take the photo... but why not!
100_1317.jpg

Last edited:
Allright the jeep is mobile again!!! it was the NSS. I took it apart... again, and cleaned it completely, put it on and cranked right up. Thanks for the help, i was thinking it was something else just so i would not have to fight to get the NSS off again... oh well.

Back