• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear fender trim

rooster

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone trimmed rear fender from just below the rear tail light forward to the fender well? Was any welding required?
Can you just cut out this section then fab some sort of covering over the opening while mantaining the structural integrety of the uni-body.

You dont want to just cut open the 'box' there below the quarter panel, this will leave an opening up into your passenger compartment for all kinds of crap to get into: mud, exhaust, rain water, bugs.....

If you cut the corners open like a 'box' you can then fold them over front & rear first, then inside & finally outside. Then you can weld them together at the corners & down the center. You'll have to trim as you go but it's not hard.

Here's what mine look like, they're just riveted and then sealed on the inside with insulfoam & silicone. If I did it again though I'd weld them up.

rear.jpg

trimmed up

i made some precision cuts in that section with the plasma cutter and kind of folded everything up underneath, it stays water tight and no welding was required. Its not what I would call 'beez' pretty, but its functional, below is the best pic i have of the trim job online.

mac 'did catch the interior on fire in the process tho' gyvr

1061798833_Dscf0039.jpg

The tail lights are made out of I think 6"x4"x 1/4 box, with two 4 inch holes cut in each for standard 'semi' tailights, the holes are the same size as the 4inch round led's if I were ever to want something flashy to put back there. The corner of the lights was cut out for the body and there is a 1"x6" slit cut in the back of the lights for the wiring, then tabs were welded to the sides to bolt in the stock tailight bolt holes, the top and bottom were aslo capped for a fairly watertight tailight, that is very strong.

I had a whole detailed pics online of them but it unlike photopoint it was a test site that got taken down before I realized it was going down....soooo I have no other pics online again...

mac 'shopping around for picture hosting' gyvr

Back