• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Review: Motorola Talkabout EM1000R

ECKSJAY

Water is dirty
Alright, I saw these Motorola Talkabout EM1000R and tried to do some quick research. All I really found was that they are a new 2k8 model by Motorola...and there weren't any reviews yet. They're marketed as 'emergency' radios with some nifty features built in. I thought I'd take a chance and pick 'em up. If they turned out to be crap I'd return 'em. Picked this pair up at a local Home Depot for $59/pr. Web prices vary, but I wanted them 'now' with the ability to throw them at someone if they sucked.

Features according to Motorola's website:

* Up to 20 mile range1
* 22 channels, each with 121 privacy codes for 2,662 combinations
* 31 hr. alkaline (3 AA) or 10 hr. NiMH estimated battery life
* iVOX hands-free communication without the need for an audio accessory
* QT (Quiet Talk) interruption filter
* Emergency alert button
* Flashlight
* Mini-USB charging port
* 11 weather channels (7 NOAA) with alert feature
* Backlit display

Here's what we got in the package (description again from Motorola's website):

* 2 EM1000R radios
* 2 belt clips
* 1 dual charger
* 1 charging adapter
* 2 NiMH rechargeable battery packs

Everything was in the package as promised. I opened the package and noted that the radios weren't tiny, hollow boxes like other recent Moto garbage. ;) I put a battery pack in one radio and turned it on. The HT powered up and I saw the red glow of the LCD backlight. All of the buttons on the radio give a positive 'click' when pressed, so they leave no doubt that you have engaged them. Immediately I heard someone talking, so I decided to leave the radio on while I drove home. I heard the same people talking for the better part of 2 miles through busy commercial warehouse areas. I even clicked in and said 'HI!' to the surprised users. ;)

This morning my wife and I tried them out while I drove my daughter to school. School for her is about 3 miles away, through various residential areas and up on the hillside adjacent to our apartment. Again, for the most part of 2 miles we were in contact until static got too heavy. Not bad, IMHO, considering my wife was sitting in a chair, downstairs, behind the brick that makes up the front wall. I have no doubt we would have had more range had she been upstairs next to the window.

The NOAA weather channels work brilliantly also. This radio offers the possibility of switching over to monitor NOAA weather broadcasts or enabling 'alert only' mode, when NOAA sends out alert notification of pending doom.

Some other features I saw as thoughtful included the mini USB port on the bottom of the radio for charging. I have a Kenwood car stereo with a powered USB port in it, so I can charge the Moto without any additional equipment. Of course, you can also use the AA batteries with this radio, which also provides longer talk/standby time (one can also charge them overnight in the included dual radio charger). I thought the LED light on the bottom was kinda neat. With a small, momentary button next to the PTT, you can engage the LED for built-in 'flashlight' use. Even in the light, it has a fairly decent throw. This would really be usable outdoors, in total darkness. Finally, there's a 'panic' button on the top, located in between the volume control and the antenna. Some might be familiar with these buttons on their work radios or police gear. When this is held down for 3 seconds, an alert tone goes out over the air AND audibly from the radio itself a full volume. After this tone goes on for about 5 seconds, the iVOX turns on and the radio broadcasts for 22 seconds. This enables anyone on your current frequency to hear your emergency broadcast, whether it be your own distress or something that affects the entire group. Excellent peace of mind when in a 'dangerous' environment.

In conclusion, I think these radios were worth the coin and I may be adding another set to my current pair. I have yet to give them the 'distance' test via GMRS and 'line of sight', but I have no doubt they'll perform almost as well as Motorola's claims suggest.

Here are some pics, click thumbnails for larger.

Front view of dual charger

Back of dual charger

View of the LED flashlight

Flashlight on

Mini USB port for charging

Alert button/Top of radio

PTT/Flashlight buttons

Spiffy red backlight

Obligatory '1911 for scale' shot :D

Battery bay

Next to Nokia 6263

Full specs:

Talk Time: 31 hr. alkaline (3 AA) or 10 hr. NiMH

Range: Up to 20 miles

Connectivity: Mini USB

Backlit Display: Yes

Battery Type: NiMH Rechargeable

Feature: LED Flashlight

Number of Call Tones: 10

Channels: 22

Drop-In Charging Capable: Yes

iVox: Yes

Keypad Lock: Yes

LCD Battery Meter: Yes

Low Battery Alert (Audible): Yes

NOAA / Weather Alert: Yes - 11 Weather Channels

Privacy Codes: 121

Talk Confirmation Tone / Roger Beep: Yes

QT: Yes

Radio Base Color: Black

Volume Knob: Yes

Where is the on/off button? I have a set that places it where the menu button is on yours. The only way to carry or store the darned things is with the belt clip hooked to something because placing then near anything else invariably touches the power switch, turning then on or off or both repeatedly, with the accompanying extremely loud beeps signifying the occasion.

Handlebars said:
Where is the on/off button? I have a set that places it where the menu button is on yours. The only way to carry or store the darned things is with the belt clip hooked to something because placing then near anything else invariably touches the power switch, turning then on or off or both repeatedly, with the accompanying extremely loud beeps signifying the occasion.

Sorry about that! The power knob on these is the volume control. :) It also has a keylock like a cell phone so bumping the front buttons doesn't do anything, except the 'call tone' button. I'm probably going to get a Maxpedition holster for it also.

To amend this, I tried the iVox and it works beautifully. Tried it as a baby monitor (one of the marketed uses, believe it or not!) and it was brilliant.

Back