• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Both motor mounts the same?

dreher

NAXJA Forum User
So I got motor mounts for my 95 XJ with the I6, got the driver side replaced got the passenger side out and they looked to be a differant size. Put the new one in place and it has 1/4 inch of space.
I called around to find one for that side but both Napa and O'reilly show it being the same part. Whats the deal with this? The old one fits nice and snug shouldnt the new one fit the same?
TIA
Brendon

Kevinma255 said:
The motor mounts on a 4.0 are completly difrent. one sticks way out and the other one is cose in on the block.

Kevinma255 said:
The motor mounts on a 4.0 are completly difrent. one sticks way out and the other one is crose in on the clock.

nope!! same, don't tighten anything until both mounts are in

UH...
I just changed mine. I tightened the side I did first, then did the other side.
What problems did I just create?
Should I go back and loosen 'em up and re-tighten them?

It it possible to get the motor slightly off center

Kevinma255 said:
The motor mounts on a 4.0 are completly difrent. one sticks way out and the other one is cose in on the block.

So are you talking about the brakets on the motor or the rubber ones? I am refering to the rubber ones.
Should I use a washer as a shim? Should I try the stealership?
I wrote before that it was a 1/4 in but I meant a 1/8 in. But still seems like a big gap for something that important.
The drivers side mount was destroyed but the passenger side (the one with the gap) only has a small crack. I'm not very worried about it but I wanted to do all of em at the same time.
Thanks for the replys!

Kevinma255 said:
NO they are not the same.......
See.....
MotorMounts028.jpg

DISCLAIMER:
YES... the M.M.'s ARE the same.

poorboy_616 said:
Don't worry to much about being slightly off center....

The U-joints will compensate automatically.

Also, wires, cables and hoses are flexible....

No, it does matter.

If one mount is always bound up and the other isn't you're going to over stress them which will lead to greatly shortened mount life.

So why is there extra space if the mounts are the same?
In case I have not been clear it is the metal shaft that the bolt goes thru that is not long enough.

No worries. I should have been more clear.
This problem just seems wierd especialy since everyone is saying the same thing, that it should fit but this one IS too small.

Is it possible that the engine brackets that bolt to the rubber motor mounts are bent?

The rubber motor mounts will be the same. The engine brackets are different.

You could take the new motor mount you have back to the auto parts store and compare with any other they have in stock. If it's the same then the I'd guess the block bracket is bent. If not then exchange for one that's the correct (longer) size. You might have to get someone with calipers or other measuring device to check if the diff is only 1/8 inch. (use a small carpenter's square, the kind with the sliding piece & measure off of something flat.)

have you tried putting the bolt in and tightening it down to see if that pulls the block bracket against the MM metal tube? Otherwise I don't know - maybe take the block bracket off and squeeze in a vice or get a new bracket from the junkyard?

The two I bought area the same. I noticed the differance in size by eyein it so I put in place and it was off. The old one fits right in, not overly tight and not loose.
I dont really want to bend the bracket, worried about fatigue.

I am thinking about just cutting apart the old one from the other side and making a spacer out of the old bolt tube. What do yall think about that? Safe?

I'll get in there some more today and figure something out.
Thanks for looking that up for me. Where did you find that? Wonder if maybe it came off a differant year.

dreher said:
I'll get in there some more today and figure something out.
Thanks for looking that up for me. Where did you find that? Wonder if maybe it came off a differant year.

Factory parts listing.

Also the motor mounts are the same for a Renix era Jeep so I'm quite confidant they were always the same for 4.0 equipped XJs.

Back