• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

parking roll and hard shift?

sleeperjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep has always rolled a little when putting it in park and shifted a little hard occasionally, but it seems to be getting worse since I installed my detroit locker. I'm not sure what the normal cause for this is, or if having a locker affects it. I'm sure people have had this problem before. Any ideas on what could be causing it and/or ways to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

I'm curious about this as well...my Jeep does the exact same thing and I have a rear detroit too. Engages pretty hard from reverse to drive as well but people I've talked to said its normal...

Thats normal for a detroit (or any auto locker).

There is about a quarter turn of the driveshaft "play" between "locked" forward and "locked" reverse. its not harming anything, and you'll get used to it.

Try doing this.....when you park, shift into neutral, set the ebrake, take take your foot off the regular brake (you should feel it roll just a little bit, then the e-brake will catch it and stop), then shift into park.

There's a pin in the transmission (called the park pin I believe?) and it sounds like your transmission is catching on that, like it should be.

I've always done the above method when I park and it seems to work fine....keeps added pressure off the transmission from trying to hold the vehicle.

UNCC_99XJ said:
Try doing this.....when you park, shift into neutral, set the ebrake, take take your foot off the regular brake (you should feel it roll just a little bit, then the e-brake will catch it and stop), then shift into park.

There's a pin in the transmission (called the park pin I believe?) and it sounds like your transmission is catching on that, like it should be.

I've always done the above method when I park and it seems to work fine....keeps added pressure off the transmission from trying to hold the vehicle.

I think you're missing the driveline play that is added by a detroit locker. It literally adds one quarter of a turn of the driveshaft play into the system. With my detroit, I could roll my rig back and forth about a foot while it was in park.

cal said:
I think you're missing the driveline play that is added by a detroit locker. It literally adds one quarter of a turn of the driveshaft play into the system. With my detroit, I could roll my rig back and forth about a foot while it was in park.

Ahhhh I see. Didn't know that about Detroits...that and I was on my way out the door typing that. My bad!

cal said:

x2...I can do the same thing...

Back