• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

if my dist is a tooth off will the comp comensate?

markg

NAXJA Forum User
i recently put in a new dist cap and rotor in my 94 xj(strangely i had to get a dist from 92 to match what i took out)its running ok now but not shifting well.i pulled the throttle (or maybe the trans cable)off of the carb to snake a hose under it.this cable snapped into a square hole but i didnt adjust or move it at all.just unhooked it and then put it right back.could this shift problem be related to this?if i have the dist in off one tooth will the computer try to compensate or will it run like crap?i dis have the dist in 180 out at one point.should i disconnect the batt to clear anything?>
thank you for any insight into this

carb?

the distributor one tooth off would not affect shifting, it would affect how it runs.

you may have knocked off the TV cable and it may need adjustment.

the tps has alot to do with shifting.

its fi.how do adjust the tv?is it like a chevy where i should open it wide open and pull the cable tight?i dont believe i did anything to the tps but its not out of the question.
thank you for the reply

outlander said:
He mentioned that he has a computer so why would you ask if it's carb'd?

i didnt ask, he wrote carb in his thread, just trying to make sure we are on the same page when it comes to what parts we are talking about.

it did run a little while with the dist being a tooth off.should i pull the batt wire to reset the computer?

markg said:
i recently put in a new dist cap and rotor in my 94 xj(strangely i had to get a dist from 92 to match what i took out)its running ok now but not shifting well.i pulled the throttle (or maybe the trans cable)off of the carb to snake a hose under it.this cable snapped into a square hole but i didnt adjust or move it at all.just unhooked it and then put it right back.could this shift problem be related to this?if i have the dist in off one tooth will the computer try to compensate or will it run like crap?i dis have the dist in 180 out at one point.should i disconnect the batt to clear anything?>
thank you for any insight into this

Can you define "not shifting well"? Is it shifting too soft or too hard, or is it shifting at the wrong time? The TV cable only controls shift firmness. The trans computer determines when to shift based on speed and throttle position (as read from the TPS sensor, which is a common problem as they do wear out).

sorry im gonna have to take it out myself to get some acurate facts for you guys.this is my sons gf and im just getting info from them.

Back