• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finished up the Hood Vents

mcraindog

NAXJA Forum User
Started this project over the weekend and here is the finished product. A little scary at first cutting into a perfectly good hood, but in the end I'm happy with the end result. Let me know what you all think of them. I used 280z vents.
DSCN3141.jpg

DSCN3144.jpg

DSCN3147.jpg

DSCN3148.jpg

DSCN3149.jpg

I see that you removed the hood insulation liner, I just cut holes in mine to match my vent locations. Any drawbacks to pulling the entire liner out? My thought was that the underhood temps might cause the hood paint to discolor and bubble on the exterior.

Oh, and nice job on the vents, they look great.

yea it was pretty nasty and dryrotted anyway...i thought about just cutting wholes in mine but just ditched it. I did some searching before I installed these and I found nowhere that removing it would do any harm. Thanks!

Yours has a hood liner? My '98 didn't have one when I bought it. I took the liner off of my mustang's hood too with no adverse effects, even from the supercharger.

fubar XJ said:
I see that you removed the hood insulation liner, I just cut holes in mine to match my vent locations. Any drawbacks to pulling the entire liner out? My thought was that the underhood temps might cause the hood paint to discolor and bubble on the exterior.

Oh, and nice job on the vents, they look great.

My 93 hasn't had this since I got it, and who knows how long before that, we've put about 30,000 miles on it ourselves with no issues in paint.

Vents look good!

Nice job there young man! In my local boneyard pickins' for hood vents are pretty slim. My XJ is one of the few that always runs nice and cool, so I don't really need them, but I am a fan of keeping under hood temps as low as possible.

Looks like your hood release mechanism could use a shot of WD-40! You don't want it to break, its a pain in the ass to open the hood to fix it if it goes. If you can remove your hood vents from the outside it won't be too bad to pop the hood, if not, be prepared to TRY to reach the cable from under the Jeep! I could not reach it on a buddys XJ and had to remove the grill to reach it.

They look good, I'll have to watch for some.

I'd mount them on the opposite sides if I do find some.

The Hard Struggler said:
Nice job there young man! In my local boneyard pickins' for hood vents are pretty slim. My XJ is one of the few that always runs nice and cool, so I don't really need them, but I am a fan of keeping under hood temps as low as possible.

like the new avatar tim...lol how's it looking now? yea i ended up going just south of atlanta and found them. Was going for some Limited leather seats but came up empty handed on those...found the vents and some new roof rails though.

New shafts are in, but the body is the same. I'm thinking of building some steel replica Bushwackers out of tubing and 1/8 sheetmetal. :woohoo:

The Hard Struggler said:
Looks like your hood release mechanism could use a shot of WD-40! You don't want it to break, its a pain in the ass to open the hood to fix it if it goes. If you can remove your hood vents from the outside it won't be too bad to pop the hood, if not, be prepared to TRY to reach the cable from under the Jeep! I could not reach it on a buddys XJ and had to remove the grill to reach it.

You can remove the headlight doors and buckets to unbolt the spring/latch mechanism and open the hood. It only takes about 5 minutes per side and it is alot easier than trying to reach the latch with the hood down.

Hammered said:
I woulda put them opposite sides. so the front points were nearer the middle and the rear points were to the outter edge. Just my eye...

I said that 5 posts ago...:laugh3:

DANG i cant find the pics, but i did this with the same type of vents. they are good vents. Only i put them the other way around like was mentioned.

Back