• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering problems (partialy stuck in 4wd??)

snowchevy78

NAXJA Forum User
is that possible? to be halfway stuck in 4wd? becuase on pavement when i turn and then let go my steering wheel does multiple jerks back into its straight position.

My 98 has a NP242J. I run in Full Time 4x4 most of the time. If I switch it to 2WD it wants to stay in Part Time 4x4 for a little bit. The 2wd 4wd selector handle is a little spongy, like it isn't pushed all the way forward and down.

I drive a little bit and I'll hear a mild pop. It is the handle going all the way down. Then if I push on the handle it feels solid down and it is in 2wd.

I wouldn't call it stuck 1/2 way between 2wd and 4wd, I'd say it is stuck in Part Time 4wd.

I just make sure that if I'm taking it out of 4wd I am able to drive straight.

Worse case I just put it back in Full Time 4wd until I can drive straight for a bit.

It's not halfway stuck - it is in 4WD, and that's a common trait. Since my dash light doesn't come on, it's how I know I'm still in 4H on pavement - which is not encouraged at all with the NP231. It even does it on my turf driveway, which apparently isn't a "loose surface" for all the ratcheting the u-joints go through.

I try to keep it to a minimum, but 4H in the rain sure does launch at stop lights better.

Hi,
Driving it on pavement in Part time will cause damage to the drive components before very long. My 93 XJ used to be very slow shifting in an out of 4 wheel drive, then I had 4 new tires fitted, it now changes in and out straight away. Check that your tires are all the same, pressures are the same, as it makes a big difference to shifting in and out of 4 wheel drive.

IIRC, the NP231 uses vacuum to engage the axles. Might wanna read up or ask around about the NP231 to see if thats the culprit.

My '87 MJ will sometimes stay in 4H as well. When it does I have found that turning all the way to the left and then giving it a little gas will disengage the 4WD. Been doing it for over a year and I still haven't figured out why it does it (since I know the vacuum system is good to go - I checked that early on).

My 87 XJ will keep the front axle locked for a few moments even after dropping the t-case into 2WD....(soon to converted to NON-disco...)

If you have the Disco axle, give it a minute to disengage....

Since it sounds like you have the Selec-trac (2HI-4PT-4FT-N-4Lo) t-case, make sure you are going straight when diesngaging 4WD. That will eliminate the binding and it will drop straight into 2WD.

If you have the Command-trac (2HI-4HI-N-4Lo) t-case then you should drop into 2WD BEFORE you hit concrete with all 4 tires....

i dont have part time 4wd with my jeep. its just 2wd 4hi and 4lo

and i know what it feels like on pavement when the 4wd is engaged and its more jerky than what im talking about.

Your 4hi is my Part Time.

snowchevy78 said:
i dont have part time 4wd with my jeep. its just 2wd 4hi and 4lo

and i know what it feels like on pavement when the 4wd is engaged and its more jerky than what im talking about.

what year, it helps to know if you have the vacuum assited front axle? and you have the 231 part time case if you have only 2wd, N, 4hi, 4lo. if its more jerking, it might be bad axle ujoints.

is the xj lifted or is it stock?

Hmmm Now I am wondering if the chain is slipping.

I'm having a similar problem, and thought I'd bump this thread instead of starting a new one. I just bought my 88 a few weeks ago. I tried the 4wd full-time a little when I got it just to make sure it worked and also tried 4Hi and 4Lo on a straight road to make sure they worked also. I was driving in a pretty rural area today and came across a beautiful muddy dirt road. So, I did what any Jeep owner would do. I put it in 4Hi, and had a blast. I shifted in to 4 full-time before I got back to pavement, and then went back to 2wd. I noticed that my steering is now doing what the OP described. Since I noticed it after I went through the mud, I'm assuming something happened then. It's not stuck in 4wd because I was able to spin one of the rear tires in my driveway. I'm pretty sure the transfer case is in 2wd, but I think the front axle could still be locked. Basically what I need to know is if the 4wd light will go out even if the front axle is still engaged. I know the switch for the lights are on the transfer case so I woudl think it's possible, but I read somewhere that the transfer case "tells"(with vac, obviously) the axle to disengage and then the axle "tells" the transfer case it is disengaged. Is this correct? Any other ideas of what I could have messed up?

I'm having a similar problem, and thought I'd bump this thread instead of starting a new one. I just bought my 88 a few weeks ago. I tried the 4wd full-time a little when I got it just to make sure it worked and also tried 4Hi and 4Lo on a straight road to make sure they worked also. I was driving in a pretty rural area today and came across a beautiful muddy dirt road. So, I did what any Jeep owner would do. I put it in 4Hi, and had a blast. I shifted in to 4 full-time before I got back to pavement, and then went back to 2wd. I noticed that my steering is now doing what the OP described. Since I noticed it after I went through the mud, I'm assuming something happened then. It's not stuck in 4wd because I was able to spin one of the rear tires in my driveway. I'm pretty sure the transfer case is in 2wd, but I think the front axle could still be locked. Basically what I need to know is if the 4wd light will go out even if the front axle is still engaged. I know the switch for the lights are on the transfer case so I woudl think it's possible, but I read somewhere that the transfer case "tells"(with vac, obviously) the axle to disengage and then the axle "tells" the transfer case it is disengaged. Is this correct? Any other ideas of what I could have messed up?

Do you have a locker? If not it means nothing if you could spin a rear tire. You have a 50/50 shot at spinning the right tire. The rear driver should not spin, while the rear passenger should be free.
If you have a problem with it not shifting out of 4wd, it is probably an issue with the shift linkage to the t-case. Is your rig lifted? T-case drop?

I don't have a locker. It's pretty much stock. If it was in 4wd though, how would I be able to get the rear tire to break lose with nothing happening in the front? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of 4wd? I don't think there is anything wrong with the linkage because the lights work and it will go in 4wd when I try to put it in. If there is a problem, I think it is in the axle and not the transfer case.

Back