• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do you get the transmission pan out?

Throttle

NAXJA Forum User
Am I stupid? Why can't I get my transmission pan out? The stupid dip stick is in th eway... I'm 'scared to pull it out. I've never pulled the pan off an auto before. Can I just pull the dip stick tube out of the pan??

I tried, but the exhaust and the transfer case get in the way... do I seriously need to drop the exhaust to get this stupid thing out?? I'm ready to beat it with a damn hammer!!!!!!!!

the dipstick tube is two piece about 4 in. above the pan with an o- ring
in it .the o-ring gets hard and its a pain to get it apart . clean it with some spray cleaner
and you'l see it

Like the second post indicated, remove the dipstick bolt from the firewall and take the pan out along with the dipstick tube.

I went through the same thing myself thinking how the heck does this come off. I ended up removing the bolts from the transmission mount and lifting it with the jack, high enough to turn the pan a little and place the handle of the hammer were the dipstick meets the pan. It did bend a little, just had to straighten it out. I pulled down really hard the whole thing came out.

Later, took apart the dipstick tube. Cleaned all the sufaces well and applied a lot of anti-seize before re-assembly. I hope not to have the same problem again, guess I'll have to wait for the next filter change.

I don't know if this is the correct way but it's what worked for me...

Good Luck

Yeah that was a real pain in the arse!!

I managed to do it with the pan hanging about a foot. I thought maybe when I had played around with the exhaust that I had made a piece too long and therefore made the distance between the cross member and the exhaust too small....

In any case, pain the arse... will be a lot faster 2nd time around I'm sure! Next will be tranny cooler+gauge!

I cleaned mine out and replaced the filter/screen tray with the pan just hanging as well, as I was afraid to pull apart the fill tube. Its not as nice as total removal but its very do-able if you just let it hang.

Back