• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cigarette lighter socket

megabyte5689

NAXJA Forum User
Where would I get a new cigarette lighter socket, mine quit working. I'm not talking about the lighter, I'm talking about the socktet that you push the adaptor in. BTW it is an 90 XJ Laredo.

have you checked the connections behind it? if not that then the underdash fusebox? (its a 15amp, but also goes with the radio) the best place to get a replacement one would be the junkyard... much much cheaper than the dealership

junkyard. but first see if you can fix yours. its as simple as taking the dash trim pannel off and three screws hold on the cig liter pannel. check for loose and corroded connections. also, the wire can become sharply bent and break.

a junkyard one would be the easiest as it would be basicly be a direct swap.

I got mine from the junkyard. The wiring was fine but the socket itself had become corroded. I first thought it was the actual lighter so I replaced that but it still wouldn't work so I pulled a replacement socket.

Kind of funny, the parts were basically unused so everything works real good. When I push in the lighter and it heats up to release, the lighter does not "pop" out but instead flies out over the center console into the back seat.

Its just a GM style lighter assembly. Any parts store should have them. I know that O'Reilly's does.

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd tack on. I'm trying to swap the switch bazel on my 97 with one from a 98 (that had fog lights). The problem is that the power and cig lighter sockets have different plugs.

Simple enough to swap the sockets, but I can't get the damned things out. Any tips for removing the sockets from the bazel?

With the front of the bezel in your palm, slam it (not too hard) down on a hard surface. They pop right out.

It's easy to replace. I replaced the socket on my 87 with one from a 93, it worked.

It seems the bezel's are different and I wasn't able to swap the sockets. Does anyone have a 98 FSM or other documentation that can give me the wiring diagrams for the cig lighter and the power socket.

There will be one positive, and one negative. I know they changed some of the plugs and what not (I've run into this using newer parts in mine), but it shouldn't be that hard to sort out with a lighter.

There will be one positive, and one negative. I know they changed some of the plugs and what not (I've run into this using newer parts in mine), but it shouldn't be that hard to sort out with a lighter.

I need to run out and get the plugs from my donor XJ, but the sockets have a 3 terminal setup on the plug. Hopefully there are only 2 wires or this could get fun.

Third wire may be for a light ring around the socket? I do not own a 97+. Do they even have a lighted trim ring? I know the 96< a lighted trim ring was available.

Third wire may be for a light ring around the socket? I do not own a 97+. Do they even have a lighted trim ring? I know the 96< a lighted trim ring was available.

No lighted trim ring that I can find. My 97 had the simple 2 spade terminals that are 90 degrees off. The 98 had these t shaped plugs with 3 terminals inside.

I'm hoping when I go snag the wires from the 98 later today, that there are only 2 wires running to it. The diagrams I saw for 97 & 99 both list only 2 wires to both the cig lighter and the aux power socket.

Both the lighter socket and power outlet have two wires on 97+. One positive and one negative. The sockets themselves are set up to use factory wiring harness connectors, but you can use really small female spade connectors instead if you need to.

The factory connectors for each one are keyed different so as to keep you from swapping the power outlet and lighter socket as they are wired differently. The lighter socket gets power fed to it through an ignition switched relay while the power outlet is always hot.

Both the lighter socket and power outlet have two wires on 97+. One positive and one negative. The sockets themselves are set up to use factory wiring harness connectors, but you can use really small female spade connectors instead if you need to.

The factory connectors for each one are keyed different so as to keep you from swapping the power outlet and lighter socket as they are wired differently. The lighter socket gets power fed to it through an ignition switched relay while the power outlet is always hot.

Thanks for the info, I just got back from snagging the plugs from my 98. There are only 2 wires going to each plug. Now I just need to splice the plugs on to my wiring.

Back