• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Temp Question (non stock lifted and louvered)

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 Xj and it runs about 210 average. It has been hot over in pa the last couple of days and the temp has been going up to around 230. is this normal temp for a Xj or is it running hot. I have louvers mounted about mid hood. My jeep is lifted about 3 to 4 inches running 31's. any info would be great. Thanks

cj11 said:
I have a 97 Xj and it runs about 210 average. It has been hot over in pa the last couple of days and the temp has been going up to around 230. is this normal temp for a Xj or is it running hot. I have louvers mounted about mid hood. My jeep is lifted about 3 to 4 inches running 31's. any info would be great. Thanks
Yes, it's over-heating. 230* is HOT. Jeeps normal operating temp is 210*. My XJ used to run at a constant 210*, even if I wheeled in 100* weather. Now, it runs between 195* and 200* all the time.

I hate to say it, but you'll find a ton info if you search.

Here are a few possible causes - low coolant level, bad t-sat, water pump starting to fail, cogged radiator, clogged radiator fins, mechanical fan starting to fail, bad temp sending unit (not likely though), air in the system, fan shroud broken (it's not sucking air like it should).....

Start with the easiest - replace t-stat, then flush the system, use your garden hose and spray it through the radiator to get all the gunk out of the fins. If that doesn't do it, I would replace the water pump next.

E

Last edited:
good luck, I've been chasing cooling demons for a few months:flamemad:

From what I understand, 210 is as low as it will go with a stock thermostat after warmed up. Here is a direct quote from Eric Zappe's book:

"... the normal operating temperature for the 4.0L engine is around 210 degrees on the highway. On a hot, dusty trail, or in stop-and-go city traffic, it's not unusual to see the temps climb up into the 225-degree range or higher, due to poor airflow through the radiator. This is normal, too, becuase per the factory service manual, the auxiliary fan kicks on when the coolant temperature rises to 223 degrees F regardless of whether or not you have the A/C on. The auxiliary fan will remain on until the temperature drops to 217 degrees F."

If you're getting up into the 230 range you should be careful and start looking for causes. I don't agree with starting by repalcing the t-stat, that's likely the last thing that would cause a decrease in cooling capacity. In the majority of slight to moderate overheating situations the cause is a partially clogged radiator. These radiators are marginal from the factory, and it's typical for them to get partially clogged and have heating problems.

You can also check the fan clutch, but if it goes out you most likely would get a good overheat situation if there's much of a load on the motor. Also check for the electic fan to kick on, which is one of the reasons these motors like to run right at 210 since that's when the electric fan kicks on.

Most likely you need to replace the radiator, fan clutch, or the electric fan has a problem, but I'd bet it's the radiator.

Back