• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

copper recycle

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
anybody know a good place to take copper for recycle in O.C. and how much $$ to expect. I got a bucket of copper pipe fittings and some electrical wire to strip down trying to figure if it is worth the effort.

I get a decent amount of project money from scrap metal (aluminum/copper/brass/bronze/stainless, mainly) and CRV stuff.

If the wire is about a 14AWG or larger, I'll strip it - you do get more for stripped wire than for insulated.

Do sort out your plumbing copper from your electrical copper - they usually pay out at different rates, and most yards are going to want that done (or they'll just pay you at the lower rate.)

I can't help you with a yard down there, but I can give you tips from what I deal with up here.

Last time I took in copper, the graded it by cleanliness. if it has solder in it, then separate that from clean copper. At the yard I go to, last time I took in copper I got about $2.68 per lb.. Brass paid 1.78 per # and aluminum was $0.76 per #. but thats at a yard in national city.
when I have extra time I take old electrical motors and cut the copper out of them. Old pumps I take the brass housing out and old valves I disassemble down to bare brass. I usually walk out with a couple hundred bucks at a time.

flip open the phone book and call around first. they all pay differently. Some recyclers are down right ripoffs and some are generous.

Back