• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pennzoil Oil

duntov said:
Anybody run Pennzoil oil in their rigs?

Straight 30 from showroom floor to now. Well I'm not sure what came in it from the factory... So I should say from the first oil change until right now.

I'm at 130k.

I just saw that ACE hardare where I live has it for .99 per quart. Of course that is after a 1.69 per quart rebate. You're allowed up to 12 quarts. I was thinking about stocking up for the next two oil changes.

There are not enough words to describe my hatred for Pennzoil. :gonnablow :flamemad:

Pennzoil is crap, complete and total crap...

EVERY time I have run Pennzoil, my engines have had little to no Oil Pressure at idle...

Not to mention the sludge buildup...

SO if you want a ruined engine, go ahead and run PZ....

Last edited:
duntov said:
So what is the best oil to run then?

I'd love to run a synthetic, but I was told not to change the brand of oil once you started using for a long duration.

AMSOIL http://www.amsoil.com/index_b.aspx
I would only run it if you have abosolutly no leaks its is $$$$
Shell Rotella Is very good oil. 15w-40 is what I run. Used to run it in a pete

1985xjlaredo said:
AMSOIL http://www.amsoil.com/index_b.aspx
I would only run it if you have abosolutly no leaks its is $$$$
Shell Rotella Is very good oil. 15w-40 is what I run. Used to run it in a pete

Agree, Amsoil. Note that IT will Not Cause leaks though in a properly sealed engine. My 94 XJ had a leaky RMS when I bought it at about 148K-ish, fixed that, and have run Amsoil 10w30 ever since W/ NO leaks anywhere since then. Currently at about 185K miles. On topic, Not a fan of PZ and you can do much better for conventional oil than PZ, I would run Castrol Way before PZ and IT is almost always on sale cheap somewhere......heck, they practically have to Give it away.

Never been a fan of Penzoil. It's Pennsylvania Crud AFAIC. I've run Castrol GTX in all my rides since I've owned them.

My '86 Nissan p/u (z24 engine) has been in our has been in the family since new. It's never seen anything but Castol. It has 150K and runs great.

My 88 XJ has used Castol since I bought it in 2000. 175K and runs strong.

I run Rotella 15w-40 also great oil even if it is Diesel oil.

Prior Owner used Pennzoil

DSC03088.jpg

yup, that there be some high quality PA crud(e) with lots of parrafin wax filler!!!

mmmm....sludgey....

i run NAPAs store brand oil with their Wix manufactured oil and air filters.

NAPA brand oil is valvoline in a NAPA bottle...

WHen I was working for NAPA I used to buy it (employee discount) in bulk for my rigs.

Now that I no longer work for napa, I just buy what I need to do the job...

BTW, NAPA, Valvoline, Havoline or Castrol are my choices....

Mobil-1 from 48K when I bought mine(2000) It developed a RMS leak at about 90K - probably not due to the oil.

Back