• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loose steering!?!?!?!?! this problem is killin me

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok well i have an issue that ive dealt with since i lifted my jeep and just decided id deal with it. but i cant do it. im so sick of having to adjust my wheel every second while driving down a straight road. i just plain and simple have alot of play in my wheel as in i can turn it about 1/5 of the way in any direction and it will not yet move my wheels. i have a 6 " suspension lift with drop brackets, and my track bar is an adjustable one from rocky road out fitters. i have nothing loose and i know it can be many things but does anyone know exactly what this is ?

First i'd check for a sloppy steering box ...or the steering box pulling away from the frame.

Then check tierod ends etc, but i'm sure you already thought of that?

what John said, check everything steering related including the trackbar frame mount

Have someone sit behind the wheel and crank it back and forth while you sit in front of the Jeep looking for what's loose.

i had the same issue, it was the slip-joint in the steering shaft out of the firewall.

I have the same problem to.
I have a 4.5 RE lift. What i have found out so far is that the mount on the axle where the track bar mounts to is lose. After ordering a new bushing from RE, I went to put it on and found that the bolt that goes through the bushing had wore out the hole of the mount its self. It has bored it out if you will? So now I have found that I am going to need to weld a new mount made of thicker steel than the factory one is. You can accomplish this by not having to weld on the axle but welding to the original mount! I have almost a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of movement, this exibiting itself in the same way yours is.
Do as the others have said, have someone turn the wheel while you check out the steering?

yeah well i saw it at work today its the axle side bushing of the track bar. no metal sleeve.... crazy movement. i gotta wait till fri to get the part. but i hope it will tighen up the steering

Back