• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reverse lights don't work

SoreRunner

NAXJA Forum User
1989 Cherokee, looks like a factory trailer package. I disconnected the wire at the L/R reverse bulb. Replaced or installed all factory needed fuses. Didn't see one for the reverse lights. I currently don't have a wiring diagram at hand. Just kinda stumped for any new ideas.

If you checked the bulbs and fuses then the NSS may need to be cleaned or replaced. Do a search in here there have been many write ups on this . Try "neutral safety switch"

you should be able to jump the harness to check if the NSS is the problem. It is mounted on the passenger side of the tranny. If you search you should be able to find the diagram of which pins do what.

I would be very surprised if it wasn't your Neutral Safety Switch. It is a very common problem among many different years of Cherokees with the AW4 automatic transmission. Some Cherokees with a dirty NSS see symptoms as simple as the no reverse lights (mine is doing this) and some see symptoms as bad as only starting in neutral not park or vise versa or wont start at all. There is a great write up at Jeepin.com on how to clean it.

Here is the link:

http://www.jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp

Good Luck!

Jess said:
you should be able to jump the harness to check if the NSS is the problem. It is mounted on the passenger side of the tranny. If you search you should be able to find the diagram of which pins do what.

I don't think jumpering the NSS is going to fix his reverse lights, unless he wants a ticket for having his reverse lights lite up on the highway.

lawsoncl said:
I don't think jumpering the NSS is going to fix his reverse lights, unless he wants a ticket for having his reverse lights lite up on the highway.

Did you read what he said? He was describing a troubleshooting tip, not a fix. ;)

ECKSJAY said:
Did you read what he said? He was describing a troubleshooting tip, not a fix. ;)

Thanks...
I will be more clear.

If you find the correct pins of the connector on the wiring harness where the NSS connects you could jump the pins and see if the reverse lights come on. If they do come on then you have found the problem is a dirty NSS. The direction to go from there would be to remove, clean, and reinstall the NSS. Then after installation, using an ohm meter, you can properly adjust the NSS leaving proper resistance in each gear. Then when the procedure is complete and correct the end result would be when the shifter is positioned in reverse (R) the backup lights would illuminate.

I will try to be more clear next time. :twak:

Thank you too all, sorry been wheelin' all day. I will check out all your helpful tips this week.

Again thank you :kissyou:, just kidding, thought this was perfect for the moment, lol!

Jeremy

Jess said:
Thanks...
I will be more clear.

If you find the correct pins of the connector on the wiring harness where the NSS connects you could jump the pins and see if the reverse lights come on. If they do come on then you have found the problem is a dirty NSS. The direction to go from there would be to remove, clean, and reinstall the NSS. Then after installation, using an ohm meter, you can properly adjust the NSS leaving proper resistance in each gear. Then when the procedure is complete and correct the end result would be when the shifter is positioned in reverse (R) the backup lights would illuminate.

I will try to be more clear next time. :twak:

Ah! I'll try to be less thick next time... :}

just thought that i would add that if it has a manual transmission it would be a bad reverse light switch that is located on the transmission.

lawsoncl said:
Ah! I'll try to be less thick next time... :}

Its okay. I've had alot of NSS problems and sometimes don't fully explain well because I'vve done it so much. Since TN has no inspections I just jump mine to pushbuttons. I always seem to have a problem getting them adjusted correctly but have found if I get reverse adjusted properly the backup lights still work with the starter wire jumper to the pushbutton.....it just doesn't start with only the key.

Back