• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator swap

kf_chris

NAXJA Forum User
A few months ago I gernaded the alt when I was wheeling. so I took some of the stuff of the front of the motor and changed them. One of the things I changed out was the radiator. I like running the air in traffic during the summer and last year i had an issue with overheating with all the factory components in place. I went to www.radiatorbarn.com and for a "heavy duty 3 row" radiator and threw it in. I also use "water wetter" because when I was stunting and riding crotch rockets in the summer in FL, it lowered my engine temp by about 10-15 degrees. While I was in there, I changed out the aux fan with a stock replacement.
Bad news. the fan I got doesn't work. I tried troubleshooting the problem but it's just a bad motor I guess, gonna take it in for a replacement under part warrantee at autozone soon.
Good news.
I took a 2000 mile round trip to FL, and did some wheeling while I was there. The cooling system as it sits now (without an AUX fan) did great. I never had a problem with overheating...other than when my sister sat in FL in the airport parking lot letting it run for almost 20 min, then it got hot. But I can say that even in FL traffic (no A/C running) it didn't get hot.
Oh, I forgot to add that I changed out the thermo for a 185 degree and it's a nice change.
Just thought someone would like to know that there's an easy and fairly inexpensive cooling fix out there. There were no clearance issues with the new rad at all, it's the same size and mounting as the stocker. I can take underhood pics if needed but it's all installed.

You didn't list regearing? With 32.5 tires and OEM gearing you place a LOT more load on the engine/trany when offing or stop and go. More load = more heat.
High capacity rad is one way to fix it. It's cheaper then regearing but if you intend to off hard in that kind of heat. You may need to do both. Besides you would like the gitty up and go with regearing.

Last edited:
Back