• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homemade air tank

iroll919

NAXJA Forum User
i want to attempt to make an air tank out of my my rear bumper i built

right now my bumper is pretty plain it is 2"x4"x3/16 steel capped at the ends will this be strong enough to hold enough pressure to air up

i wanna keep it pretty simple just put an end on it so i can hook up a hose and air up and have a valve so i can refill it with my air compresser before i leave to go wheeling

does this make sense does anybody have a link to a write up i could follow or any tips

i know i will have to do some good welds to make it air tight but i think i can handle that

Check your laws because in cali its illegal (not to meniton unsafe) to use bumpers for compressed air tanks. just some food for thought.

i didnt think it would take that much pressure to air up my tires just a little i dont do anything so intense i have to air way down

how much pressure do you guys thinks something like this would hold?

it would hold pressure fine, its the volume that you need to think about. i dont know the exact math but it does take quite a bit of volume to fill up just one tire to the proper pressure.

Instead of making a bumper into an air tank and risking it being ruptured either by rocks or a collision, do what alot of people do and get a CO2 system. Most can be had for under 200 and are pressurized enough to fill tires several times over.

It won't be enough volume with normal air tank pressure, but would be a useful addition to an electric compressor.

ideal gas law:
p1v1 = p2v2

p= absolut pressure, not gauge. Use gauge pressure + 14.7psi as close enough.
v= volume, just make sure you use the same units.

I don't think it'll refil 1 tire completely, but it depends on the details. Show us your work and we'll check it for you.

dave92cherokee said:
Instead of making a bumper into an air tank and risking it being ruptured either by rocks or a collision, do what alot of people do and get a CO2 system. Most can be had for under 200 and are pressurized enough to fill tires several times over.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think it would be a dramatic failure. A loud hiss that would get your attention for sure, but I don't think it would explode or anything like that. Too heavily built for that (@<150 psi)

Its not going to explode. We have a ton of guys here who run the bumpers as air tanks. It wont give you enought to fill your tires back up. Its good with a compressor.
Co2 is good but you have to pay all the time to fil it.

Really? Most people I've talked to that have a CO2 setup say they don't have to fill it to often. If you're going to build airtank bumpers then get a good compressor to hook up to keep it filled up. If you check out polyperformance.com they have pretty good deals on viair compressors.

I posted this up a long time ago.
not sure if the links work
you may have to google "beverage factory"
but this set up still is working in my XJ

BOB

It is so crazy spending a lot of money on Powertanks and other simailar CO2 setups. Here is my CO2 setup.
here is how you can put it together for about $100.00

here is the CO2 tank. I have a 5# tank
I understand it can fully inflate about 10-14 33" tires
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...anks/co2.shtml

here are the "single" gauge regulators.
you only need something simple.
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...tors/co2.shtml

You will need a basic air hose and starter kit.
(don't buy cheap plastic crap)
you can get those at Sears or Menards.
I got a 50' air hose and that reaches each of my
tires on the vehicle.

most places I wheel have air. But, this is a nice
affordable setup to have and it doesn't take up a lot of room.

...BOB

jpcherokeekid said:
Check your laws because in cali its illegal (not to meniton unsafe) to use bumpers for compressed air tanks. just some food for thought.

I know a ton of guys including myself that use their bumper as a tank. If done right, I don't see how it is any more unsafe than any other tank. I have mine hooked to an Viar compressor with a pressure switch. compressor shuts off at 120PSI. At that pressure I not too concerened of a rupture. (although I doubt it will happen with my bumper 8>o) I also have a pressure relief valve built in.

I'm guessing I get about 4 gal. Fills about 1 tire. But works great at setting beads and will run my impact wrench just fine.

Get a good compressor and it's very handy to have for sure!

dave92cherokee said:
Really? Most people I've talked to that have a CO2 setup say they don't have to fill it to often. If you're going to build airtank bumpers then get a good compressor to hook up to keep it filled up. If you check out polyperformance.com they have pretty good deals on viair compressors.

I guess it depends on how much wheeling you do and how big your tires are.
If you wheel once in a while and have small tires sure the co2 will last you a long time.

2" x 4" will not give you much volume and may not be worth the effort to seal it. I had a 3/16" x 4" x 4" x width of rear hatch and I calculated just under 4 gal.

It sure was nice for very brief air tool use. As for tires the tank is useless after the first tire. That is where a high volume belt driven compressor is ideal.

You really would not need to bring your tires up to full PSI. Just fill then up so you can do road speeds and get to some place with air.

badron said:
You really would not need to bring your tires up to full PSI. Just fill then up so you can do road speeds and get to some place with air.

It wont be enough unless you have small tires.
The tank will only be good with a compressor like stated before.

if a 2x4 bumper is capped and filled with 100psi, wouldnt that be strong as hell??? I mean with the pressure inside exerting force outward, it would be damn impossible to dent or bend by hitting something... ie =rock, tree, car...

OR am i just crazy in my thinking??

pict0040.jpg
pict0033.jpg
May10thTrailRide031.jpg
holds 200 pounds, the stock a/c pump pumps plenty, the bendix/renault unit. i dont see this not being safe, i drive everyday, if you're a good welder, it should be fine. i dont keep pressure in there when i'm not using it, only when i need it, and i bleed it before i go anywhere, the stock pump fills it in under 5 minutes, and i can fill all my tires, and run air tools off it once it's full.

you drive that shit box every day??? i'm not poking fun. I mean spot lights for headlights? I just dont see it happening...

Back