• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BOOM!

ollie

NAXJA Forum User
I could use some help...

Blew the muffler off my 86 today. She'd refused to start after I had driven, turned off for five minutes, and tried to re-start. It would start for literally a second or 2, then die totally. Repeated efforts to restart filled the muffler with fumes, and :explosionBANG! The people in the neighborhood came out like a gun had gone off heh heh (they didn't call the cops-they're used to it!). I left it for a few hours, and it started no problem. A quick drive, and the problem resurfaces. Anyways, now I'm stuck with a jeep in need of a muffler, and a no-start problem I can't even begin to think of a solution for.

It's an 86, 2.8 with the heap of crap varajet, and all those fun emissions bits. I'd appreciate some suggestions: to the experienced mechanics, does this sound like a carb, electrical, or other issue? Is the varajet a nightmare to rebuild?

Also, I'd love some tips on how to remove all the emissions junk under the hood (I live where it's legal to have no smog control on a vehicle of that "vintage":yap:). However, I lack the experience and knowledge to just start removing the clutter...although maybe this is a subject for another thread!

If the 86 is injection it could have an injector being stuck open but if it is a carb it could be as simple as a stuck float or broken nozzel letting fuel just pore into the intake. there could be a over zealous fuel pump (blown resistor) or cloged return line to the tank.

as somone stated before the fuel filter is the cheapest place to start but I have never heard of that being the reason for too much fuel.

one more thought, the O2 sensors help the computer decide how much fuel to pump into the engin, you might want to check them.

good luck

What is a varajet? Is it a feedback Rochester controlled by a computer and O2 sensor?

I got rid of the last bits of emissions/computer crap on my '85 2.5 when I replaced the Carter YFA feedback carb with a Weber. I just decommissioned the '85 and have the Weber with very few miles but don't know if this would do as a replacement for your carb (obviously with an appropriate adapter plate). It seems that this came up not too long ago and the only original 2.8s that were computer controlled were the California models. I may be completely wrong about that.

I agree with Kevinma255 -- I would start with the stuck float/float adjustment/broken jet.

It is a Rochester carb, looks like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rebu...41516662QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330241516662&

I put a 2.8 in a chevette years ago, removing all the emissions gear in the process. However, I had a friend to guide me, who is no longer around. I'm sorely tempted to just have at 'er on the jeep and hope for the best, I sort of remember which holes to plug! I'd be interested in your weber Pelican, if you want to drop me a P.M. with how much you want for it!

So sorry to miss the part where he said the exhaust was filling up with fumes. Guess I should of read a little more:rtm: You are the best!:worship:

Back