• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix airbox removal

xSUx SGT BAKER

NAXJA Forum User
i want get rid of my air box so i can put a second battery in. which means i would have to move the air cleaner to another location like this>>>
IMG_1013.jpg
. the problem lies in the tube that connects to the throttle body. it only goes on one way because of the idle stepper motor. so the question is does any body make a tube that points the other way or is there any tricks that anybody has? yes i searched the forums (thats how i found that pic) maybe i missed a keyword or something?

Rock-it (Turbo City) sells an airtube that crosses over like that. It is available at Quadratec and from Turbo City.

Quadratec Part No: 17010.011

or you could make one :)
engine01.jpg

If I shorten this one up I could rotate it so it was pointing at the fender, this would give me room for a second battery. I made it with 3" stainless steel tubing I "found" laying around at work and two fittings TIG welded in for the lines and a support leg to keep it stable.
This is an HO motor of course but I also have a 1990 with the Renix and after looking at it I don't see why it couldn't be made to work.

Last edited:
the problem with that is i want the air cleaner on the other side of the engine. the renix throttle body is not symmetrical so i cant just rotate it. i think i just have to make one myself

xSUx SGT BAKER said:
the problem with that is i want the air cleaner on the other side of the engine. the renix throttle body is not symmetrical so i cant just rotate it. i think i just have to make one myself
you can use the stock air hose, and run a peice of 3" exhaust pipe from the end of it t othe filter. I did that with mine only mine runs right behind the headlight. The exhaust pipe is kinda a PITA to drill holes for vaccum lines, but it can be done. Thats one thing about owning a Renix, you kinda have to find ways around things.

Most of the auto parts joints carry do it yourself air intake stuff. You may be able to pick up the necessary pieces parts and fab up an airtube. If you have to make room you could modify the base of the stock air tube thing so you could swing it towards the back of the compartment.

RenixLS02.jpg

pict0041.jpg

pict0040.jpg

PICT0039.jpg

snorkel it and get er done. just relocate the pollution evap hose, and the valve cover hose to the pvc, and call it a day. or you could leave the filter inside like the previous posters. you dont need to move that water tank either, you have plenty of space, you have to get an optima/orbital or other 25c battery, which is nice and short, since the fender well is right there, and you have to make a little platform on iit so it sits kinda level without hitting the power steering pump.

im not a real big fan of the pvc pipe snorkel idea. as a matter of fact there is no way im doing a pvc snorkel. this jeep is my daily driver so, unless the snorkel has a clean lookin finish to it, im ruling it out for this conversion. as for relocating the washer bottle, i think i can just move it back so it sits flush with the master cylinder and put an air cleaner in front of it.

Back