• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idea from dzol

dzolcali

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I have seen a lot of people putting vents in their engines and things like that for cooling and then others fabricating some sorta water spouts to keep it outta the engine.

I just had a thought that, maybe you could cut a big middle section out of the hood...pretty much the whole thing, and put a screen in there or something thats more breathable...but be able to put the slab of metal back in and have it latch down securely back into the hood so thats it's water proof again.

I guess it sounds like a lot of work now that i wrote it down but it makes sense sorta, I ahve a pretty good sorta plan for how to make it although I'm not that good with the grunt work of cutting things and fabricating metal pieces and stuff.

<<subscribing early>>

lol...I made a picture let me host it real fast
260y8fd.jpg

top view of hood, and side view...poplocks on the front similar to toolboxes or things like that. A sorta hood support thingies underneath to hold it up and make it flush with the top...and then maybe after cutting it out put a rubber water seal similar to what people put on their fender flares?

Just an Idea...thats all

hrmm good idea brett....hehe
what about a removable plexi glass hood insert...cut a big hole...make a plexiglass thing that works in the center...add some class to your engine and it's water proof when it's on and vented when it's off...OOO i just thought of an even better idea for a hood...an adjustable ram air hood...OMG Ima draw it up and post it...just wait a few minutes

this would be cool if it was motorized so you could lift the ram part from inside the cabin :)...also shock struts on the hood would be nice to help hold the extra load from the hardware and metal...but it could maybe work and not touch the stuff in the engine if the measurements were correct...

BrettM said:
your most reasonable idea yet...

just get one of those big magnets that often go on doors for advertising and slap that over your vent.

I used a 1 1/8 hole saw and drilled 40 holes in the hood, 20 on each side on the back center. I used the magnets. Doesn't look as bad as you might think.

Ok so imagine what that could do, with the vent closed or open....open=outside cold air rammed into the intake...but closed, it would be right at the fans on the front of the hood...so still cold air blowing in :) I think it's perfect :)

BrettM said:
just get one of those big magnets that often go on doors for advertising and slap that over your vent.

Thats what I did, my two were even white so they matched the hood.... Worked just fine up here in the drizzly northwest weather

tell me that ram air hood looks bad ass....if i had enough money I woudl have it made all perfect like i see it in my head and just damn...it would be hot. I mean cool..

I honestly believe that underhood temps of a properly maintained engine should never need venting. Now, I like the looks of a few styles, but they serve so little function. I like BrettMs hood with the 1" raise in the back, but other than that... eh.

Its alot of work for nothin... again.

Your skull cap is pretty gangsta, Brett.

Can't see in that pic... are you still wearing flip-flops?

dzolcali said:
I just had a thought that, maybe you could cut a big middle section out of the hood...pretty much the whole thing, and put a screen in there or something thats more breathable...but be able to put the slab of metal back in and have it latch down securely back into the hood so thats it's water proof again.

Could always rig up a quick release hood, hell its pretty quick already, just modify the cable and remove the 4? back hinge bolts and done...

Back