• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Voltage up and down. Problem, fix?

RogerTango

NAXJA Forum User
My voltage goes up and down, not rapidly, but sometimes it drops way low for a minute or two then goes back up.

Does the alt have a built in volt reg? (Im guessing so)

Ive had pretty good luck with reman alts, but... I dont want to replace it ($$$) if that is not the problem. Ive heard this was common, any feedback?

I think Ill get a junkyard alt and have a local rebuild shop re-do it. (If they will, I need to call them).

Thanks,
Andrew

RogerTango said:
I think Ill get a junkyard alt and have a local rebuild shop re-do it. (If they will, I need to call them).

just try the JY alt first. itll probably work fine without any work.

JY = junk yard Yes your alt has an internal regulator. Get your charging system checked befor you replace anything. Most parts stores can check it for free. Check all your grounds. Make sure they are solid(clean and tight), and not corroded.

Bad ground is my first guess. :wave1:

Check all ground connections especially at battery and at the engine block.

:cheers:

1993? No, it does not RPT not have an internal regulator - it's a Nippondenso, and the regulator is built into the PCM.

Concur on servicing/cleaning your assorted grounds, especially the three main grounds (battery-chassis, battery-engine, engine-chassis) and making sure the alternator mounting point is also clean and tight. Many automotive electrical problems come back to being bad grounds - especially things like this.

Got off the phone with a local rebuilder, on his lookup, he said it was computer controled... so, as you were saying, correct o mondo.

WHERE are the grounds on the block? (Passenger or driver side? Upper or lower? etc..) Ive already cleaned the terminals on the battery (They looked good to start, but you know how they can be..). The belt is fine, just replaced.

As I mentionen previously in another post (I think?) the block is new to the chassis, so maybe it IS the gnd. Ill check and if I find a solution, will post back with the results.

Thanks-
Andrew

Have you checked the voltage, with a digital volt meter, at the battery and at the alternator? I wouldn't put a ton of faith into stock gauges.

Slut (ha, I said slut), Its not just the gauge... the blower fan slows down and the lights dim a bit.. so the gauge is reflecting conditions "accuratly". The exact voltage, I dont know... but the voltage is dipping.

Andrew

Well, its been a while since my last post, thought Id follow up with what I found. I still need to fix it, but I figured it out.

Recently the belt started to sqeel when it slipped, and the voltage dropped when it did. When the squeel stopped, the voltage went back to normal.

It appears the belt has BEEN slipping, but not squeeling!

Nice, easy fix and not big money to shell out.

I think the belt got contaminated when the engine was R&Red, makes sense.

Best I can remember form the last belt change, I need to loosen the alt and I can change the belt. If you have any last min tips, lemme know.

Cheers,
Andrew

slipping perhaps when a/c is running or other large elec loads are being used and i think your correct on adj the alt to install the belt

Back