• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

distributer question

markg

NAXJA Forum User
im working on a 95 xj.the dist was making noise like a dry bearing.i pulled the dist and went to autozone to get a replacement.the shaft was much larger going thru the one they had and my rotor was way too small to fit this shaft.it also had a plastic cover over the electronics so i could not look inside but the plug was the same.we looked back in the autozone puter and found that the 92(i believe)was a little different.they had one of these in stock too and it looked just like the one i brought in.because they had the same plug and i was buying a new rotor anyway i opted to get the one with the larger shaft for the 95.i put it in and lined the rotor up just as the old was when i pulled it but it wont start or even backfire.it is arcing to the dist cap at the coil wire and there is spark to the plugs.of course the zone closed in the meantime last nite.should i go back and get the one for the 92 that looked just like mine?could there be some difference that wont let it start?
thank you

Paragraphs and punctuation, please......

My 94 4.0l came with a 93 distributor, although the only differences I could see were in cap & rotor. Since then, I had the same issue, worn bushings. I picked up a replacement from my local parts pusher that dropped right in.

I don't recall any major ignition differences, that's all HO from 90 through something like 2000 when it changed to coil-on-plug.

This sounds similar to a problem im having. Something went bad in my distributor and the cam position sensor rubbed the plastic off of the tabs that rest underneath it. I am currently assuming that this is why my OBD is giving me a camshaft position sensor code. Im going to buy a new dist from Autozone since it comes with a new sensor. Mine is a 94 and the cap and rotor is different as far as I know from a 93 because when I replaced the cap they gave me the wrong one the first time.

this was actually a 94 xj i was working on.the 1st dist i put in with the larger shaft was for a 94.the one for the 92 was different and looked the same as the one i pulled out.i swapped out the one i had for the one for the 92 and it it fired up(i had it a tooth off at 1st and had to go thru the routine of pulling #1 plug and pointing the rotor at #1 on the cap)its running fine now but im a little confused as to why this would have a dist from a 92 in it.maybe the motor was changed at some point?but if that were the case wouldnt the computer also have to be changed?the dist for the 94 must have had more electronics under the plastic cover it had on keeping us from seeing inside.the one we used for the 92 was open and just has a metal bell looking thing that would spin and pass thru a sensor of some sort.
btw the new distributers are not turned on the outer housing that goes thru the engine.the 1st one we used went in fine but the 2nd would not go thru the hole and we had to use a dremel on the casting to get it to pass thru.

the one we used says its for a 91 to 93.the one for the 94 which was different was for 94 to 97.both say w/o module.
the dist cap was the same for both but the holes werent tapped all the way thru for the cap and i had to power down the last couple of theads with a nut driver hoping they didnt snap because we didnt have any metric taps.
the ac compressor on this rig says charge with r-12?wasnt this done wqay with before 94?

Back