• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unknown box?

Onetype

NAXJA Forum User
My 2000 got broken into last week and i've decided to put the new cd player in the center console. Needless to say it needs a little gutting/trimming. Theres an electrical box underneath the air vents that has something to do with the airbag system. Can I remove this? Im not to interested if they work or not I just dont want to unplug it and have them blow or anything. Thanks in advance.

if the box has yellow connections, thats you airbag controller. By law it's illegal to disconnect it without having the express written permission of a doctor.....

The airbag laws vary by state. The Federal Law does not actually prohibit the vehicle owner from modifying or removing the airbags. Some states have statutes that classify it as a misdemeanor. You're insurance polciy might have something to say as well.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/...30122
49 U.S.C. section 30122 reads:
Quote, originally posted by NHTSA »Sec. 30122. Making safety devices and elements inoperativea. DEFINITION In this section, "motor vehicle repair business" means a person holding itself out to the public to repair for compensation a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment.
b. PROHIBITION A manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or motor vehicle repair business may not knowingly make inoperative any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard prescribed under this chapter unless the manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or repair business reasonably believes the vehicle or equipment will not be used (except for testing or a similar purpose during maintenance or repair) when the device or element is inoperative.
c. REGULATIONS The Secretary of Transportation may prescribe regulations
- 1. to exempt a person from this section if the Secretary decides the exemption is consistent with motor vehicle safety and section 30101 of this title; and
- 2. to define "make inoperative".
d. NONAPPLICATION. This section does not apply to a safety belt interlock or buzzer designed to indicate a safety belt is not in use as described in section 30124 of this title.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/stati...D.pdf
A selection from page 12638 (PDF page 2) under I.A. reads:
Quote, originally posted by NHTSA »The need to alter or remove federally required safety equipment poses a problem because there is a statutory provision prohibiting making such features inoperative (49 U.S.C. section 30122).1 While that prohibition does not apply to vehicle owners, it does apply to modifications made by the types of commercial entities that modify vehicles for persons with disabilities.

Back