• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Install bushings into leaf springs

duntov

NAXJA Forum User
Just received my new lift today. I had to purchase the bushings separate from the leaf springs. What is the best way to install the bushings? Vice? Press? Pay someone????

freeze the bushings for over 8 hours. heat the leaf spring, press in with a vice.

blondejoncherokee said:
freeze the bushings for over 8 hours. heat the leaf spring, press in with a vice.
Are you nutz!Dont ever apply heat to any part of a spring!It wont "spring" after that!

Easy. Thats what i did. The spring shop did one, and they were like youre going to have a hell of a time getting the old ones out. Easy. took my 30 min.

Took them to one shop and they quoted me $60 to put three in. Needless to say I took them to the military auto hobby shop and put them in. They charged me $3 to use the press. Looks like i have about 57 more for Jeep parts.

Chris @ GATR said:
Front Bumper
^
^
^
Whatever the bushing is being pressed into.
^
^
^
Bushing (w/ silicon grease)
^
^
^
Wooden Block
^
^
^
Floor Jack.

The 2 ton homemade press...................works every time for me.
I was thinking. You could use a highlift too. just press the bushing in with the foot of the highlift. Havent tried it tho......... Thought about today while i smacked em in with a hamer and piece of wood.

It sux. Are they poly or rubber?? Either way, it's not an eay proposition. Lots of leverage is the key. A large vice is ballz, but if you aren't lucky enough to own one, there are many different ways to improvise.

I've done it more than once, and although I never want to have to do it again, one thing that helped was dish soap. Lube them biznatches up with dish soap, and vice them in there. Don'e be afraid to shave a little off of one of the outside edges to the bushings to help get them started. Don't hack em up, but realize that soem of the bushing sticks out past the actual spring anyways, so beveling the edge to help get it started isn't going to affect the function of the bushing once it's in there.

Good luck!

2000bluexj said:
I was thinking. You could use a highlift too. just press the bushing in with the foot of the highlift. Havent tried it tho......... Thought about today while i smacked em in with a hamer and piece of wood.

What about the new hilift extreme, has that clamping attachment on it.

Back