• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

was on a road trip this weekend and noticed how damn...

milehigh

NAXJA Forum User
hot the cab of my jeep gets. we were cruzing on a mid 80's day at 70+mph window down a bit(couldnt put em down all the way too windy) and i was suffering. we had the vents on full blast and still no relief. felt like alot and i mean alot of the heat was coming from the floor boards/tranny tunnel. ive always heard the autos in these put off alot of heat, is this true? i was thinking the floor boards could use a good layer of heat reflective insulation. if this isnt normal what could be causing it? could something with my heater/vents be messed up? oh this is a 2000 xj, thanks in advance

Well, certainly could be. However, if it's that hot out, vents and windows won't really help anyways. It's like sitting in a convection oven. All of the nice big glass surrounding you is like sitting in a convection oven in a green house.

I assume you either don't have AC or it doesn't work.

Check your tranny fluid, it might be burnt. Something you can do is get an auto transmission cooler, would probably help.

tranny fluid is fine and no didnt remove carpet. it may have just been that hot. a/c does work but was towing and hauling and without running a/c i got a quarter tank better gas milage, and that was into the wind. was just making sure that there wasnt something wrong, ive heard of some heating/ a/c systems that would have vacuum issues that caused similar symptons. ie blowing hot air, like the heater core wasnt blocked off all the way and was letting in hot air. may just have to sweat it out or bite the bullet and pay 10-20 extra to run the a/c.

oh and i believe it has a tranny cooler built into the radiator, may be wrong, but i think i say lines running to the rad.

XJ's have alot of glass. Tint your windows, it will help keep the cab cool.

already did that, dark as i could go all the way around. wonder if they make a clear uv blocking tint for the front windshield? that would cut down on alot too.

drive through the show, that will work.

X2 tint, and the towing didn't help I'm sure. Don't forget the CAT is under the pass. side floor so you're going to get some heat from there. You could put some Dynamat between the carpet and floor and if your CAT does not have a heat shield you can "mickey mouse" one from a "Air-Bake cookie sheet.

Make sure your your heat sheild on the cat. conv. is still there. Also, mud and grease will get caked on exhaust system over time and build excessive heat. Just a thuoght, but if you were towing a trailer, it's probably normal heat build up. What was your temp. gauge reading?

All automatics use a built in cooler in the radiator.

An auxilary cooler besides the cooler in the radiator is best for an automatic trans, especially if towing. Cuts down on the trans heat alot. I'm probably going to guess that the majority of heat in your cab is coming from the exhaust though, which gets hotter than the trans should.

if you were to add a e-xtra tranny cooler, could you get rid of theose pressure fittins on the trans fluid lines and just use good old hose clamps?

Hoagie

it does have the heat shield. ill look into that tint. i live in colorado and the sun really bakes things in the summer. probly look into the dynamat stuff too. if it doesnt cost an arm and a leg i may cover the floor in that stuff. really hate having to run the a/c on a mid 80's day with the gas prices the way they are. thanks for all the input, oh and i may look into the aux cooler. i dont do alot of towing, but heat is the enemy of an auto, so it can only help.

ive always heard the autos in these put off alot of heat, is this true?
====================================================
Not more then any other auto (slush box) will.
Under heavy loads like towing in stop and go or on long step grades slush boxes generate a LOT more heat. Flat road at steady speeds not so much. FYI the slush converter makes 85% of the heat.
Also under heavy loads you MAY spend more time with the computer in the power mode. It will run rich in the power mode. The cat will work harder will the some what richer mix and make more heat doing so.
Even you U joints run hotter on the big hills when towing heavy. But who cares? As well as the differential(s).
Change trany fluid with towing long hot and heavy. At 20~30k or so THIS IS JUST (IMO)
Add a cooler if you want to tow much. Factory towing packages come with one.
Change engine oil every 3500 miles. This is by the 01 owner manual for towing.
See you in the slow lane. I'm there most of the time dragging my 4280 LB anchor behind me.

Back