• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Craziest Sh!t I've ever seen (maybe)

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
was at the docters today parked my truck looked at this xj next to me and had to look twice.

wow.jpg

If you cant make out the crappy picture the guy has a steering wheel mounted to the passangerside dash with some crazy set up, and some how has the pedals rigged. The steering wheel is connected to the steering column with a fan belt and a pulley. Dont know what this guy is smoking, but Think I need some.

damn.. thats not how we do right hand drive in Australia!

:D

seriously though... what a death trap!!!!

cds36 said:
possibly setup for a disabled person ?

think he is going through aussie withdrawls.

It's a mail Jeep, and that's not an uncommon conversion.

the wooden tray on the seat is the giveaway... its a rural letter carrier's vehicle... real right-hand driver XJs and Wranglers are a common sight here in new england... although THAT is very much the wrong way to do it..

GrimmJeeper said:
belt drive steering?!?!? how is that even legal???? no high speed steering reaction FTW!

"High speed" and "postal vehicle" are not synonomous.

ChiXJeff said:
It's a mail Jeep, and that's not an uncommon conversion.

x2. it's common for mail jeeps. Here's another shot for ya.

xj_cherokee_steering_wheel.jpg

Its on a direct belt, so it would opperate the same as a left sided, just on the right side.

The belt is gonna stay tight and just transfer movement...

tharlanjr said:
Its on a direct belt, so it would opperate the same as a left sided, just on the right side.

The belt is gonna stay tight and just transfer movement...
belts slip. period. i dont care how tight it is. the only setup that would be unable to slip wouldbe a direct gear driven setup. i could see if it was just a temporary thing for when the mail is being put into the boxes, with a wheel still on the drivers side, but driving a vehicle on the street like that with belt driven steering all the time? FAIL :wow:

GrimmJeeper said:
belts slip. period. i dont care how tight it is. the only setup that would be unable to slip wouldbe a direct gear driven setup. i could see if it was just a temporary thing for when the mail is being put into the boxes, with a wheel still on the drivers side, but driving a vehicle on the street like that with belt driven steering all the time? FAIL :wow:
Tell that to the folks who've been running this mod for *DECADES*.

Far longer than you've had your modified Jeep, come to think of it.

My wife would love this setup. :shhh:

ChiXJeff said:
Tell that to the folks who've been running this mod for *DECADES*.

Far longer than you've had your modified Jeep, come to think of it.

x2

Gotta agree here. Maybe if you wedge the tire against a rock (which that jeep obviously isn't meant for), or if the PS pump goes out....but other than that, it will work just fine.

Back